Chapter 3: Teaser and Sylvia

Third Person POV

"Alright, everybody settled down now?" The Librarian asked, and everybody murmured their answers, which were all yes.

"Perfect! Well, an outer god requested that I show one other teaser, seeing how it would make it more interesting. This scene is from Grey's perspective, so feast your eyes upon this!" The Librarian said, and he disappeared as the screen light up with color.

____________________________________

I was nauseous and weak, and I couldn't breathe.

"—ey! Grey, what is it! What's wrong?" Caera's eyes were wide, her voice full of panic.

I fell to my knees and the relic slipped from my hand, bouncing off the white-tiled floor.

'Where the hell have you been?' Regis sounded uncharacteristically worried, and I realized not all of the panic I felt was my own.

I tried to speak, but there was a cold lump in my throat that made me gag.

Elenoir was gone.

#!$&...

I fell forward. My forehead pressed against the cold tile as I hammered a fist into the floor, causing the ground to burst apart with a sharp crack. A deafening scream ripped out of my throat as tears blurred my vision.

Only one asura could have given the command to destroy Elenoir. Lord Indrath must have realized the pact of non-intervention had failed and feared the Alacryan's expansion throughout the forest, and so he sent Agrona a message in the only language either of them understood.

My jaw clenched as I ground my teeth.

Clan Vritra or Clan Indrath...it didn't matter, these asuras were all the same. They didn't care for the peace and well-being of the lessers. If anything, they were even more violent and greedy, willing to kill indiscriminately to get what they wanted.

No, maybe not all of them.

The memory of #%$&@ in her last moments, dying alone to protect her daughter, surfaced in my mind.

I thought of the white ######, dying alone to protect her daughter. She had understood better than anyone what Indrath and Agrona really were.

Was that why she had entrusted her daughter to me? So ##### could be raised outside of Epheotus, away from her own people and their inherent cruelty?

My hand slid over the rune on my forearm where my bond was in her egg-bound form. Even after all #####'s sacrifices, it still came to this.

And not just for my bond, but my father, @%#€, #####, and so many others.

The cold, shallow voice of my former self rang in my mind, reminding me that it was because of them that I had become so weak, so emotional.

"Having people to protect only serves to hinder you from making the optimal and most rational decisions," Lady Vera had repeatedly stated. It was why I had walked out on everyone I cared about as Grey.

I shook my head. But it was those same people that I cared about in Dicathen that had driven me to make it this far. Rejecting Caera's outstretched hand, I pushed myself up to my feet.

I wasn't going to let them down. This was only the beginning of my journey now. With aether, I could rewrite reality itself, it was only a matter of learning how.

Then these gods would see what I was really capable of.

(If you couldn't tell already, I'll be using symbols to blur out words that would reveal too much and spoil stuff to the characters. Sometimes it'll be #### or other symbols, whatever i feel like i guess.)
_________________________________