3 - The First Disturbance

Flashback (1984-1996)

On the mountains near Pearlville, the locals called it Evergreen because the town is known for its nature, greenish valleys, and plant life. There is also the ThorburnTech Laboratory.

Mr. and Mrs. Thorburn were taking a break from their duties at the lab office.

At the time, Mrs. Thorburn was eight months pregnant.

"We need to take a break from our experiments; I'm about to give birth to our baby, and I don't want her to be exposed to our work," Mrs. Thorburn informed her husband.

"Let's live a normal life until our baby gets older," Mr. Thorburn said, caressing his wife's shoulder.

They said their goodbyes to their subordinates at their facility; they have a high level of trust in their staff and are confident that the laboratory will be in good hands.

A month later, Mrs. Thorburn gave birth to a daughter named Ramona Thorburn, who has poison gas emission syndrome.

"Mr. and Mrs. Thorburn, I have some bad news to tell you," the doctor said, looking over his records and noticing that Ramona might have an issue.

"I'm sorry to tell you that, despite having this syndrome, she shouldn't overuse her superpower too much," the doctor advised her parents.

"Is her syndrome that dangerous to her health?" Mrs. Thorburn asked, her face filled with concern.

"Yes, if she releases excessive toxins from her body, it can lead to a life-threatening condition and cause significant damage to her blood cells. The abnormality of her syndrome can be detected within her blood cells, as they harbor a rare bio-toxin signature that intertwines with her blood cells. This means that if she uses her syndrome too much, it could turn regular human blood cells into harmful nano-tox cells, which would be really dangerous." The doctor explained the baby's condition.

The doctor suggested, "I recommend that you keep a close eye on her and ensure she takes the prescribed dosage to maintain control over her toxin levels."

"Your daughter will also suffer health issues for most of her life, but they aren't fatal; you'll see the poison inside her body causes her body to suffer from an illness; most of the superheroes' powers come with a cost. In Ramona's case, harnessing her abilities risks damaging her cells. It is crucial for her to consistently take her prescribed medication to mitigate the harm and maintain her well-being." The doctor felt sorry for this baby's life.

Mrs. Thorburn couldn't hide her anguish; despite her daughter's syndrome, she felt like it was a curse.

A few weeks later, after the consultation,.

"What if I quit being a scientist and become a full-time mother to Ramona?" Mrs. Thorburn looked at her husband with a worried expression on her face.

"The laboratory needs you, but I understand; if only our close relatives weren't so distant from our Ramona," Mr. Thorburn expressed disappointment.

Hearing what her husband said pains her; the families and relatives of her husband and her are estranged from them because they believed the child was an experiment and, if not, then the child was cursed.

"No one is assisting to help us in our time of need." Mrs. Thorburn is concerned about their situation.

Mrs. Thorburn cared for her child for the following two years, while her husband returned to work as a scientist in their laboratory once Ramona turned one.