Chapter 5 - Charles's P.O.V.

„You're being an asshole."

Sebastian Vettel, everyone.
Kind and gentle as always.

My former teammate.
An absolute pain in my ass.

I looked at him in disbelief of what he just said.

„Excuse me?" I exclaimed.

„You're being an asshole. And on top of that a blind one." He repeated.

We were still on the rooftop bar of the hotel.

The others were on the dance floor, having the time of their lives, while I was sitting on a couch getting insulted by a 34 year old german.

I just told him about the interaction I had with Athena and instead of being on my side, he decided to simply insult me.
„Listen Charles. She wasn't being rude or whatever you wanna call it. She was jealous. Very obviously jealous."

Athena? Jealous? Of the girls I brought here?
Sounded like a lie to me.

I was on her bad side for years now, it would make no sense for her to be jealous.

I mean I teased her about that exact thing just moments before, but I didn't really mean anything with it.
I just wanted her to get worked up, to stress her.
And it worked.

I was disgusted at myself by the pleasure I've found in making her mad.
Anything to see her wild side.
Or any form of emotion towards me.
Just not indifference.

But jealousy? That was an emotion I don't think she will ever feel towards me.
I just think she genuinely didn't like me.
At least not anymore.

I shook my head with a bitter laugh.
„That makes no sense, Seb."

I had a reputation of being a womaniser.
And I hated it.
Since my breakup with Charlotte a year ago, I have been spotted with a few women by my side and the media covered it every. single. time.
Form female friends I've invited to a Grand Prix to women I have dated for a few months, seemed like it was always the hottest new topic.

I couldn't live in peace, every woman I was spotted with resulted in dating rumors.
And I was only 22 after all.
Was I not supposed to go on dates?

Athena never said a thing about it before.
So why would she start to care now?

„Oh, yeah. A girl being mad that you brought two other girls to a party, even though she claims she doesn't care about you surely isn't jealousy." he mocked me.

„I don't believe you." I stated.

„Believe what you want, Charles. I just think that her actions towards you have a different origin than pure anger."
With that Sebastian stood up and left me all alone on the sofa.

I knew that her anger towards me had to have a deeper origin.
I wasn't stupid.
Maybe hurt.
Or grief.
I just didn't think jealousy was the one.

I emptied the rest of my beer and stood up.

I walked towards the elevator, past Carlos and Isa at the bar.
„Imma call it a night, mate."
I patted him on the shoulder and said my goodbye to them.

„Already? Stay here, the night is young." He tried to convince me to stay.
I checked my watch.
2:37 am.

„It's almost 3 and we have to get up early tomorrow. I'm leaving."
He accepted his defeat and just let me go.

Even though it was already this late, the party was still going strong.
Lando left his place behind the DJ pult but was now making trouble on the dance floor.
Several drivers were laughing and dancing around him, random people spread between them.
The lights were flickering and the bass of the music made the ground shake.