Chapter 24 - Athena's P.O.V.

Hast du überhaupt überlegt? Ich weiss, du fährst nicht für mein Team, aber es ist immernoch schlechte Presse." What were you thinking? I know you're not driving for my team, yet it is still bad press.

My dad's low voice boomed through his office, jumping off the walls and echoing in my head.

I was already in my fireproofs, only an hour until I had to get into my racing car. My dad made it sound like something bad happened, just to get me into his office this close to the race.

The Miami sun shone through the big windows to our left, giving the tense conversation we were having a weird shine.

Round 5, the Miami Grand Prix was happening in full speed. Charles and I had exactly the same amount of points until now, him winning in Italy and Saudi Arabia, me getting another win in Australia. This race here would decide who of us would take the lead in the drivers' championship. And Max was always right behind us, burning a fire behind my ass.

In the constructor championship Porsche was ahead of Ferrari, Daniel scoring higher than Carlos. I don't know what Porsche put into their racing cars, but whatever they're doing, it's working.

I kept my mouth shut and just glared at my father. It took immense self-control from me not to talk back at him.

Ace was the one with the clear head. He argued calm and thinking through what he was saying. He learned early in live, that when my parents were mad, the smartest thing to do was just wait out their telling-off and then bring your arguments.

I, on the other hand, inherited my dad's temper and my mother's stubbornness. I never stayed cool.

Was machst du überhaupt mit diesem Ferrari-Jungen? Ich dachte ihr versteht euch nicht." What are you doing with that Ferrari-boy anyways? I thought you didn't get along.

My father didn't raise his voice, still his tone could cut through glass.

„Come on." I groaned. „Wir sind Freunde. Und das sind wir schon seit wir klein waren." We're friends. And we have been friends since we were little.

It was the first thing I said in the past five minutes.
My father stayed silent for a few seconds.

„Have you read the articles? They don't say that you're ‚just friends'." He formed air-quotes with his fingers.

I rolled my eyes. I knew I wasn't talking to my father anymore, but to Toto Wolff, Team Principal. He always switched to English when he was talking business.

„Yeah, and magazines are such a reliable source of information." My voice was dripping in sarcasm. I was lying to his face and the magazines were right, but that wasn't something he needed to know.

„And even if I were dating Charles," ,it was the first time his name was mentioned in this conversation, „or anyone else for that matter, which I am not, it isn't your business. I'm 22 for gods sake."

My father leaned over the glass table, resting his weight on his hands. He could hear him take a deep breath. I did too. He still saw me as the little girl he brought into this world, not accepting that I was now driving on my own four wheels. Literally.

Maybe because I was the only child of his that made it into Formula one, maybe because I was his only daughter, he still tried to protect me from the rude world I was living in. However, I learned how to deal with it a long time ago.

„Charles is my friend dad. You should be happy that we figured it out." My voice was a lot calmer than it has been before. „Jules would have been happy that we are friends again." Now my voice was a whisper.