Chapter 2: Past Meets the Present

Summary:

Chief Zee and his team are heading to a call that will change his life if he would accept what is, or will he take the hand of destiny and walk to the one he had been looking for all those years ago, or will he push him away to follow his dreams? Choices have consequences but is Zee willing to face the ones that he will have to face?

Dispatch informed them that a car had rammed into the side of a private residence, the house was on fire, and it was unclear if anyone was trapped inside. In the truck, Zee could see his crew suiting up. In the range rover, Zee followed the fire engine turning on his emergency lights. He would suit up at the scene.

When they arrived, they were horrified. However, they found it odd that the side of the house that was on fire was opposite where the car had hit. Office Prem Warut Chawalitrujiwong ran over to fill them all on the details.

Somehow Prem and Namping had left the store, beat them to the scene, and already had their first report ready. In a few short minutes, they had secured the location and placed barriers. They were both outstanding officers.

Prem was quick and efficient in his report and took off as soon as he was done. He was dealing with crowd control, and tonight people were restless, pushing against the barrier to get a better view. No one would get through on their watch. He was secure in knowing they had it well in hand.

Prem was Boun's other half. They had been dating for over a year and were getting married in a few months. Zee loved seeing them together. They were perfect.

Boun never listened to anyone except for Prem. If they needed to talk some sense into him, they would send Prem. It was a cheap trick, but it worked.

Prem and his partner Namping Napatsakorn Pingmuang were their assigned officers at the station. They worked the same rotation as his crew. They were the only permanent police staff currently assigned to Suvarnabhumi Firehouse.

They were still looking for officers who wished to work with the fire department. It was a tough job, and the hours sucked. That didn't dissuade his two officers.

They attended the six-month firefighter academy training and passed a CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) to work with Zee's team—his rules, not the stations.

Ultimately, they were trained firefighting Police Officers who could kick perp's tail and take over for any down firefighter. They could have nothing less on their team.

His officers needed to be fire ready if they wanted to work with his team. There was no dead weight. He could not afford it. Lives were at stake.

Prem and Namping were part of the family; they could ask for no one better than them. The remaining crews had to make do with officers dispatched to the scene, which made for some nasty district meetings.

Other chiefs demanded that they share Prem and Namping. But the firehouse police officers flatly refused. When they started at the firehouse, they used to rotate their shifts to work with every team, but they treated them like their maids and errand boys. To them, they were not worthy of being in their presence.

Three months after joining the firehouse, they put their foot down and threatened to quit. They refused to be subjected to that again and spent time pulling up footage from the house security feed showing why they wanted to only work with Chief Zee's team.

No one argued after that. But you could still see the dissatisfied glares when the other teams came in for their rotation. After the police department knew how they were treated, no one wanted to apply for the open slots.