Chapter 7: Are We The Cure

Summary:

Zee and Nu successfully Love Locked, and Dr. Smith is optimistic for the future of his research, and Zee, Nhu, Boun, and Prem are the key. While they wait for Zee to wake up and save to release Nhu from his drug-induced coma, Thomas has other plans.

Chapter Text

Kody left the room, barely escaping being crushed by the fire personnel and their exuberant hugs. He was a doctor, not a bodybuilder capable of taking such abuse!

It is not that he was complaining; it was lovely. He could already see the men in that room as an extension of his family. He was happy that things worked out.

He was not so sure it would. He had many successes and failures, but this... was off the charts. He had no idea what possessed him to try something different today.

He usually stays the course in his work. What happened today took his research in a new direction. He was at ground zero when Zee collapsed and gained insight into things they never had.

He never expected to have this chance. His heart was still racing from all that had happened. The team usually did not have immediate access to patients because they spent two to three hours in the ER before getting a call.

A lot can happen in that time. When Zee collapsed, he saw the signs, as it had been his life for years. He had his case of BHS (Broken Heart Syndrome or Takotsubo) at first onset.

He never imagined that adding Nhu would create the perfect storm and create two patients with LGS (Love Grip Syndrome). He needed Nhu to wake up and tell him what he was feeling.

Because of how Nhu came in, he never saw him or noticed any issues other than the concussion to his heart and finding where he was bleeding before he bled out on the table. Did he suffer from BHS and LGS? They did not know if Zee had suffered from LGS.

His mind could not keep jumping from one thing to the next. He was overloaded. The initiation of the love grip before his very eyes by two unconscious men was what amazed and fascinated him. Zee and Nhu were his golden tickets to answers. He would not miss his chance.

Suddenly, it hit him! This proved that couples did not have to be conscious for the syndrome to strike. He was sure that, with his giant leap forward today, he could obtain another five years of financing and continue his research.

However, his current contract had only three months left, and he was worried he would have to return home without a solution. His wife, Alyx, and children have given so much to follow him to each new country, chasing the dream.

His search has taken him to many fascinating places, including Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, China, and now, Bangkok. Each new country made him want more.

When they had no new patients, they poured through the notes. It never made sense; the timeline of the cases would run a course and then disappear as if they never existed.

What was the connection between the Asian countries and the tribes in the United States that made them more susceptible? His answer had to wait until a new case appeared, and he hoped for the latest information.

The phenomenon was never consistent anywhere in the world, so he always had to chase it. This time, it had taken his team to Bangkok.

Thirty instances in less than a month had been documented in Thailand, and they quickly invited Kody and his family to join their medical staff to assist with what they did not understand.

The family had no ties to any place they had visited and quickly rushed to the front lines. They had never been to Thailand. Each new country had added a new piece to the puzzle. This was when he met Boun and Prem.