five

five: this must be a dream
word count: 1211

  "I'm gonna throw up," I sighed, shaking my hands as the nerves coursed through my body. "Rylee! It's gonna be fun," Grace assured me, grabbing my flailing hand and holding it still, "I know this is a bit out of your realm, but if we're being honest... This is the realm you belong in."

  I slowed my breathing and smiled at her sweet words. I think my nerves were more from being excited rather than being scared. As we pulled up through crowded streets, I saw a long red carpet that led the way to the entrance of the building. I gulped, seeing flashing lights from the clicks of cameras as we came to a stop.

  "Ready?" Grace asked with a smirk. I took a deep breath, "Not really, but let's do this!" She laughed, waiting for Simon to come around and open the door for us. "Just do what I do," she nodded. Grace stepped out, waiting a minute for me to join her and began slowly walking towards the door. She would stop and pose calmly, showing a soft smile that was close to no expression at all.

  I copied her like she was my mentor, standing still and doing the same. She pulled me closer to her and allowed the paparazzi to take a couple pictures of us together. "I can already see some dating rumors," she snickered quietly into my ear, still showing a smile for the cameras.

  I laughed, taking a good look around at just how many cameras there were. "Grace! Over here!" one man shouted, waving his hands as he clicked away. So many people were yelling so many things. At this point, I was wondering how in the hell she kept up with where and when to look.

  "Okay, that's enough," she giggled, walking farther down and into the building. I followed close behind her, entering the building and looking up to see very classy furnishings. "Ladies," a man in a suit spoke, "The party is on the top floor. If you will, take this elevator to the left and have a splendid time."

  He gestured his hands and smiled as we went on our way. The elevator doors closed and Grace turned to me with a smile, "What'd you think about the paparazzi?" I turned to her with wide eyes and a smile, "It was different to say the least. What exactly is this event we're going to?" I never recalled actually hearing what this was.

Grace was silent for a moment before speaking slowly, "Jimmy Fallon's birthday bash." I nervously stumbled and backed myself up against the wall of the elevator. "Grace Morrison... You did not tell me this was Jimmy fucking Fallon's birthday party! Are you crazy? What am I doing here?" I spiraled in panic.

"Hey! Stop it. You're my plus one and you're dressed in designer. It's gonna be fine," she said as she attempted to calm me down, "What's the big deal?" I caught my breath, "Wh-What's the big deal? I thought this was like a designer party where some big name models would be and maybe a few celebrities. But this... This is one of the biggest television personalities' birthday party. Which means it's all celebrities."

She rolled her eyes playfully at me, "Oh, relax, Rylee. We'll greet some people and then get some fresh air. I've attended a party in this building before, and part of the top floor is a huge rooftop deck." I swallowed the growing lump in my throat, preparing myself as much as I could before the doors to the elevator had a chance to open.

"I promise, it's not as bad as you're expecting," she assured, grabbing my hand and releasing it, "Wanna hit my vape real quick?" I nodded, coming as close to her as possible and trying to sneakily hit her vape. "Alright, party time!" she giggled, taking a hit herself before the doors opened.

  My vision was immediately flooded by a sea of people who were all gathered and mingling. The lighting was low and the music was moderately loud. I noticed some people dancing, some were standing and chatting with glasses adorned in their hands, and some were sitting at tables where they could engage in more intimate conversations. There were so many familiar faces right off the bat: Kylie Jenner, Bella and Gigi Hadid, Drake, James Corden.

  "This is insane!" I whispered to Grace loud enough to where she could hear me. "Come! Let's get a drink," she smiled, leading towards the bar in the back. Walking through the huge gatherings of partygoers, I could feel what felt like thousands of pairs of eyes on me. Most probably wondering who the fuck I was and what the fuck I was doing here.

  "Two vodka cranberries, please and thank you," Grace smiled at the bartender who immediately began making our drinks. "Gracie!" I heard a female say followed by the clicking of her heels hurriedly approaching. "Lori! Ugh, you look gorgeous," Grace exclaimed, pulling Lori Harvey into a hug.

  "Girl, you know who I have to thank for that," she joked, hinting at the fact that her stylist hooked her up for the night. "I don't think we've met. You are?" she asked, turning to me for a minute with a welcoming smile. "Oh! Lori... This is my best friend from back home, Rylee," Grace gestured towards me.

  "It's so nice to meet you. You do look absolutely stunning," I smiled, taking note of her beautiful lime green outfit. "Me? Look at you, beauty queen. Grace has kept you away for a reason, I see," she joked, grabbing my hand and twirling me around.

  "Who's this?" I heard as a small group of people approached us. I turned to see Kendall Jenner, Keke Palmer, and Post Malone. Strange pairing, but I guess everybody knows everybody in their realm. "Rylee. Isn't she just jaw-dropping?" Lori asked, taking a sip of her drink as Grace and I were handed ours.

  "Nice to meet you," Keke smiled, raising her glass as if to cheers. For the next thirty minutes, Grace and I were met with so many people who were making rounds of small talk. Everyone had been polite and very nice, complimenting me and actually trying to carry on a conversation.

  While I was still feeling awkward when it came to meeting all these new, famous people, it was becoming easier the more alcohol I got into my system. Liquid courage, as they call it. Next thing I knew, Grace and I were on the dance floor with a group of people around us. We were all just dancing and enjoying the moment, feeling completely carefree.

  This was the most fun I had ever gotten to have. The experience felt like a dream; to be partying in New York City, for Jimmy Fallon's birthday, with my best friend.

author's note
— hey everybody! i hope you all enjoyed this chapter! i know my celebrity pairing are a little wonky, but keep in mind that this is an alternate universe (in a way). at the end of the day, it's just a story lol. anyways, more to come <3