sixteen

sixteen: lunch date
word count: 1394

"Is there anything else I can get for you two? Dessert, maybe?" our waitress, Sarah, asked as she came to remove our plates. "No, not unless you want anything else?" Justin said, gesturing to me. "Oh, God, no. I'm so full. Thank you, though," I sighed in a laugh, smiling at Sarah.

  "I think we're good. Thank you so much," Justin smiled as the waitress grabbed our plates and made her way to the back.

  "Is it always like this?" I asked in a whisper as I leaned across the table toward Justin. "What? Everyone being extremely nice and trying their hardest not to stare while staring? Yeah, kinda," he laughed, "I don't mind though. Half of the time, a waitress tells me serving me made her day. Then I get the pleasure of leaving her a really big tip."

  "At least we haven't drawn that much attention," I countered, taking a quick look around the restaurant to only see a few people already staring in our direction. "Not yet, at least," he said muffled before he sipped his water, "I guarantee you someone will ask for a picture before we leave."

  I smiled, not really knowing how to respond. I'm sure constantly being in the public eye bothered him. It had to. That was one thing with fame that I knew I would probably get tired of eventually. I feel like it can be a love-hate relationship. You love to see your fans out in public, but hate never having any privacy unless you're in the solidarity of your own home.

  "Oh, God," he sighed with closed eyes, "Please don't think I'm complaining!" Justin looked up to me with worry hidden in his eyes. "No!" I exclaimed as I reached to hold his hand that lay on the tabletop, "Even if you were, I could definitely understand why. I'm sure it's hard constantly being watched."

  "I've gotten used to it. Some outings are better than others. This one is actually one of the best," he smiled. "Why? 'Cause we haven't been photographed by ten paparazzi yet?" I joked. "No," he giggled as he looked down at the table momentarily, "Because I'm with you."

I couldn't help but blush at his cheesy comment. I pulled out my phone and subtly tried to take a picture of him. I wanted a picture to remind me of this. "You're not sneaky," he teased, pointing at my camera before showing the most beautiful smile. "Alright, fine then," he smirked, pulling out his phone and snapping pictures of me. I playfully hid my face in a few before owning up to it and showing a cheesy smile.

  "Thank you for lunch, by the way," I smiled at him as I took a final sip from my water. "It was my treat. Thank you for letting me take you out on our first little lunch date," he smirked, pulling his wallet from his hoodie pocket.

  "Ooh, is this like our first date?" I teased, shimmying my shoulders and playfully biting my lip. "Nah," he trailed off as he pulled cash from his wallet, "This was a lunch date. Our first official date will be someplace much fancier than this, babe."

  He looked up with a wink as he pulled big bills out of his wallet. He raised his hand slightly to signal Sarah to come back over to our table. "Hey sweetheart, how much was the check?" he asked as she giddily handed him our bill.

  He counted out the amount and started to hand it to her, "Keep the change. Also, thank you for the amazing hospitality. Here's a tip to show just a little bit of our appreciation." He proceeded to hand her five-hundred dollars.

  "N-No, please! Justin this is too much," she gasped as happy tears brimmed her eyes. "It's not enough, really. You deserve more for your service," he smiled. "You have no idea how much I needed this. I'm such a big fan, and this is by far the biggest tip I've ever gotten," she sighed as she wiped the single tear that was sliding down her face, "Could I hug you?"

  "C'mere, of course," he smiled, standing up from the booth and wrapping his arms around her. "Do you want a picture?" He offered, pulling away to see her nod like crazy. Instinctively, I stood up out of the booth and used her phone to take some pictures of them.

  "Can I take a picture with you, too?" she asked, sniffling and smiling nervously. Me!? Why on Earth does she want a picture with me? I'm nobody! I was completely caught off guard. "Uh, m-me? You, uh, want a picture with me?" I asked, making sure I heard her clearly. She nodded and smiled, "Only if it's okay, of course."

  There was no way she had any idea who I was. If she knew that I was a complete nobody, she would feel silly for asking for a picture with me. She must have assumed that I must've been famous since I was out to lunch with Justin Bieber. Whether she thought I was an actress, a model, or some sort of celebrity, she figured I must've been important.

  Justin took her phone and snapped a couple of pictures of the two of us before handing it back to her. "Thank you guys so much! Have a great rest of your day," she smiled widely as we started to head back to the car. Justin led the way, and now there was a little more attention that when we first arrived.

  Other people in the restaurant were now snapping pictures as Justin and I made our way to the exit. I used my hair to try to shield my face, following closely behind him as we reached the door. "Stay close," he instructed as he extended his hand behind him for me to take.

  As I looked outside, I noticed a couple paparazzi who were standing along the sidewalks with cameras ready. Just threw his sunglasses back on and tried his best to hang his head low to avoid them. "Justin! Over here," a man shouted as he clicked away on his camera.

  "Is this your new boo, Justin?" one shouted as flashes filled the area. "Hey, mystery girl, is Justin your boyfriend?" one said trying his best to get me to look up. Justin rushed us to the passenger side of the car, opening the door for me to quickly get inside. All of their shouting and camera-clicking became muffled now that I was inside the car.

  I held my hand over my face to hide it, being able to see the paparazzi continuing to snap pictures through the cracks of my fingers. They were still shouting at Justin and trying to take pictures of me, even though I was now inside the car. Justin's driver door opened and he quickly entered, sticking the keys into the ignition quickly and starting the engine.

  He carefully made his way back into the street, luckily able to drive off quite fast with no traffic at the moment. "Sorry about that... It was going so well," he sighed as he turned to look at me. "I don't mind," I assured, grabbing his hand momentarily, "I'd deal with paparazzi for the rest of my life if it meant that I got to go out with you."

  Breaking the silence, he turned to me with a shocked expression. "You officially took your first fan photo today!" he exclaimed. I turned to him with a matching shocked expression, "That was crazy! She had absolutely no idea who I was, she just wanted a picture 'cause I was out with you." He laughed under his breath, "Hey, it still counts."

  I let go of his hand, reaching for his locked phone and holding it up to his face to unlock it. He didn't object but instead placed his hand on my thigh and squeezed. I took silly selfies on his phone for a minute before finding another song to play through the radio as he drove us back to Grace's.

author's note
— hey everyone! i hoped you enjoyed this chapter. it really wasn't important, but i feel like it gives a little something. anyways, more to come <3