Chapter 14: THE ENEMY'S CONFESSION

14. THE ENEMY'S CONFESSION 14.

***
Dan and I didn't talk for a week after our last conversation at the field. I felt that I lost my heart when he told me that we are the one making things complicated around here. Dan, can you tell me what you really feel about me for once. You always tend to say things that I can't understand. You're just too smart! But why do you still like you? I hate you because I love you so much! I can't even understand myself now.

Then there's Gio, he's been avoiding me after I told him the truth about my feelings. I am really so stupid. Why did I tell it to Gio in the first place? What am I thinking? Hurting him won't make anything better. It's just gotten worse.

And Jessie, thank heavens she's okay now. She's laughing and smiling like she was before. She never mentioned anything about her break up. I know I was supposed to be happy about it, but I can't. I found out that even if they break up earlier, if he really likes her I still don't have any chance of having him at all.

I should forget everything now and enjoy what I have at the moment; Jessie, I and our friendship. We were more focused now on our studies. She's even helping me with my science project since Ms. Dee won't let me enter the class without passing it to her. So much for my attendance ha!

"Angel, did you find your pen?" She asked me. I almost forgot that I'm doing something. I keep on thinking about everything that I couldn't focus on. I can't even finish this project by myself.
"Jessie, it's late, you should go home now." I insisted.
"I'm not leaving until we finish this. You'd been out in our science class for a week now. You have to pass this tomorrow." she insisted more.
"I never thought that Ms. Dee could be this heartless. Making me do this milky way thingy. It's so childish!" I protested.
"If it's too childish, why can't you finish it?" Jessie joked around.

We stared at each other and laughed!

"You're bad Jessie! You're mocking me!" I frowned.
"No I'm not. It's just so funny! It's not my fault that I had this same project when I was 10!" then she laughed again.
"It's nice to see you laughing again Jessie!" I honestly told her.
"Thank you!" she smiled. "You know what? I'm thinking of giving Jake a chance on me."
"Really? Why? He's the reason that you and Dan broke up." What are you thinking Jessie? What about Dan?
"Well, Jake is funny, sweet and most of all, he is sincere. Since everyone knows I'm single now, nothing could go wrong?" she explained.
"But how about Dan? What if he wants you back? " I asked her. Dan would be really hurt if he found out that Jessie and Jake are together.
"Angel, Dan didn't break up with me. I was the one who broke up with him?" she clarified.

My eyes widened. I was shocked, why would Jessie do that? It's her fault.

"Why did you break up with Dan?"
"I honestly told him about what happened that night. I expected him to be mad or to break up with me, but it didn't happen. He didn't even react. He pretended not to hear anything. He just doesn't care about me. That's why I told him that I'm breaking up with him" she explained.
"What did he do?"
"He said 'I'm sorry'".
"Why?" I asked. Why is he the one apologizing?
"It's not his fault Angel! It's mine. I push myself towards him so much. All I care about is my feelings."
"Jessie? I don't really understand." I asked her. I'm so confused, I thought Dan likes her so badly.
"Angel, I may be Dan's girlfriend, but I'm not the one he loves." she explained.
"What do you mean?" I curiously asked.
"He's been in love with someone before I came into his life. I was the one who badly loved him. I did everything just to make him love me back. I joined the pageant, I topped our class, I did everything for him until he finally agreed to go out with me and eventually become his girlfriend."
"I can't believe I'm hearing this."
"I thought when I became his girl, all of the things would be okay, but it didn't. I found out that he's still thinking of that girl." she said it and started crying.
"The girl, do you know her?"
"Dan never mentioned anything about her, even to Jake and his other friends. His friends knew that I'm not what's inside Dan's heart. That's why Jake never doubts expressing his feelings for me because he knows that Dan loves someone else."

That cleared everything now. That's why Jake didn't care even though Dan is his friend. He knows that Dan is not in love with Jessie. Gio knows it too. Jessie, she's not the enemy. There's someone else. A girl that no one knows except himself. Jessie what have I done to you? I'm so sorry!

"Angel?"
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked so many questions. You'd been hurt and it's all my fault."
"Angel!" I didn't mind her. If I keep on listening to her. I would feel more guilty.
"Let's just finish this crap." I continued on finishing my project. "It's almost finished, I think I could attend the Science Class tomorrow." I added.
"I think it's you!" Jessie stated.
"Me? What are you talking about" I nervously asked.
"The girl that Dan loves. I think it's you."
"Don't joke around like that Jessie! It's not funny!" Seriously, what are you telling me now Jessie?
"I am serious Angel. The way he looks and stares at you! The way he smiles whenever I saw him with you, and the way he acts in front of us when we're together."
"Jessie! I..." I could not finish what I was saying because I really don't know what to say. My heart keeps on beating faster from what I'm hearing.
"He just couldn't take it Angel! He can't act sweet in front of me because he knows you're watching now. He couldn't act that he loves me, not anymore, because the girl he loves is closer to him now, to me."
"I don't know what to say!" I felt my heart explode! I don't know now if I should be happy after hearing all those things.

"Angel, I just have one question."
"What is it?"

There was a long pause. She look hesitant but she took a big breath, looked into my eyes, and asked.

"Do you love him too?"

Just as she finished telling me everything and asking that one question, the words that Dan said months before came out of my mind instantly. 'I just think that you two will never be good friends in the future.' He warned me before but I didn't listen. He knew this would happen! It's too far now to go back and it's too late to hide everything. I have to tell everything now.

"Yes, and I'd been in love with Dan for three years!" I confessed.

The moment I said it, tears fell down from my eyes. We looked at each other both surprised and hurt from our own confessions. We both cried, because we both know that today might be the end of our friendship and a start of an even more complicated road.
***