A Noble Cause

I heard the raid was successful, but it wasn't without its flaws. Imperial reinforcements kept firing their batteries at our attack force and some had to retreat to our meeting point before the supplies were collected. Sato decided to table discussions with me until after he debriefed the mission, so I just had to wait until the crew came back. I met a few rebel soldiers and someone named Ahsoka Tano. Their opinions of me were indifferent, which I consider a moral victory. I hate those, though. I came here looking for clarity and I'm somehow even more confused now.

My attention turned to the doors leading to the bridge, where the Ghost crew just returned from the raid. "You and your crew have proven invaluable to our fleet, Captain Syndulla. The fuel acquired in your convoy attacks has helped keep us one step ahead of Imperial patrols," Sato said cordially. "Thank you, Commander Sato. I'm just sorry our intel about shield generators being on that shipment was wrong," Hera replied, feeling a little down about the raid not being a complete success. "Perhaps with your next attack, Hera," Ahsoka spoke up, trying to keep the spirits high. Then, Chopper's warbles could be heard as he rolled through the door. "What is the meaning of this?" Sato questioned. "An incoming transmission. Who from, Chop? Ah, why don't you just play it," Kanan barked. There was something wrong with him, but what? I looked on with great interest, wondering what the next assignment would be. Hera cleared her throat at Kanan before directing her attention at Chopper. "Uh, Chop, cloak us with a one-way transmission," she ordered. The droid's holo-projector turned on and displayed a guy with a T-shaped head. I guess aliens do come in all shapes and sizes. "Hey, it's Old Jho," Ezra said, as if the two were long-time friends. "I can't see you, but I can hear you, my friends," Old Jho began. "Time is short, and there's someone here desperate to speak with you. I told her I couldn't find you, but she wouldn't take no for an answer. She says she needs your help." "We're always ready to help someone in need," Kanan replied. "Yeah, well this one's, uh, different," Old Jho said hastily. He walked out of view, replaced by a human female. She looked disheveled and her eyes were sunken. She really did need help. "Minister Tua?" Hera exclaimed, showing the fact she was an enemy of our crew. "We can't trust her, she's an Imperial," Zeb responded, reinforcing that fact. "Please, I beg you, listen to my request," Minister Tua pleaded. "End transmission now, Chop," Kanan cut in. He didn't want to take any chances, and I can't blame him for it. Dealing with traitors is risky. "Wait! Minister, what do you want?" Hera said, feeling she could be reasoned with. "My life is in danger, I need you to get me safe passage off Lothal," she replied. "You're not really considering this," Zeb mocked. "Quiet!" Hera shouted, cutting him off. "I assure you my intentions are sincere! To prove it, I...will trade secret Imperial information," the minister said with some hesitation. "You're defecting from the Empire?" Sabine asked, her voice filled with doubt. "Yes. I am," Minister Tua answered.

A brief silence filled the room before Ezra confirmed her intentions. "She's telling the truth, I can sense her fear," he announced. "Yeah, but of what?" Kanan asked, wanting to know more before carrying on. "So what have you got to trade?" Hera inquired. "A list. Of rebel sympathizers on Lothal, and other nearby systems," the minister shared. "How come these sympathizers have not been arrested?" Sato probed. "Some have powerful friends in the Senate. Imperial command watches them but can do nothing. I know you need allies. Get me off Lothal, and I will give you the list," she said with more confidence. "We shouldn't even consider this," Kanan said, unmoved by the offer. "It's obvious that it's a trap," Sabine agreed. "There's something else. I've discovered the true reason the Empire came to Lothal," Minister Tua bargained. "We know that one, the Empire has a factory and they're stripping the planet's resources to fuel it," Hera cut in. "No...there is another reason. Known only to a few, and ordered by the Emperor himself," the minister said gravely. Everyone broke off into groups to discuss if they should commit to the mission. Ezra and I, however, stood solo, entrapped in our thoughts. I wasn't feeling it and the optics seemed sketchy. However, I kept silent as my opinion wasn't valued yet. I would discuss this with Commander Sato afterward. "We have to do this," Ezra announced, garnering the attention of the whole bridge. "I agree." "So do I," Ahsoka and Kanan both sided with Ezra. "Alright, if Commander Sato approves the mission," Hera said, looking for authorization from her superior. "I believe it could be worth the risk," Sato approved. "Minister, we'll get you out. Send us your coordinates," Ezra said. "Thank you," Minister Tua replied, ending the transmission. "Well, I guess we're on our way back to Lothal," Hera declared. "I guess we are," Kanan said. Slowly but surely, everyone in the Ghost crew departed from the bridge, leaving me, Sato, Ahsoka, and the few soldiers still in the room.