In Enemy Territory

"Alright, Y/N. Show me what you got," Sabine taunted. I got into stance and methodically approached my training partner. I stepped in, throwing a jab to gain space. I threw another one which Sabine blocked with ease. She threw a straight right, square at my nose. My head jerked back, but I stood tall. "Keep your hands up!" Sabine instructed, then went for a leg kick that I easily checked. I threw a right hook that she intercepted with yet another jab. I went for a two-three combo which finally landed, forcing her guard down. I stupidly decided not to continue the combo. Sabine recovered and sent a body kick to my ribs. I grunted from the direct hit. Time to switch up my strategy. I tried an overhead kick, but this proved to be an even worse approach. She blocked it and countered with a spinning back fist, knocking me down. Sabine pounced on me, quickly gaining control. I tried to gain leverage by turning my hips, but it was no use. I glanced down. She has me in a body triangle. I threw a punch but she swiftly dodged it, keeping my lower body locked in place. "Rinse and repeat," she mocked. I finally connected with a hook, but she ate it. I turned on my front, which was a big mistake. She slid her legs around my neck and locked both my arms around her waist. The choke was there and I saw no other options to escape. I tapped out to yet another defeat. "That's your sixth loss in a row," she said. "Can't you train me on how to do those moves?" I said, befuddled by how she swiftly took me down. "You can only learn to fight by fighting," she said. No matter how much I loathed losing, it was the truth. I still wanted to have her teach me the fundamentals, but I trusted her methods. "I will give you a tip, though. Stand up." "You guys, come quick! Hera called for an emergency meeting," Zeb said. We removed our headguards and gloves, dusting each other off. Then we followed the Lasat, wondering what went wrong this time.

A few minutes later, we arrived at the command center to see Hera and Sato awaiting us. "I have grave news. The supply run to Teralov failed, and we lost the entire escort of A-Wings. Six pilots and the transport's entire crew," Hera reported. "How many is that this month? At this rate there's not gonna be anyone left to fly for the Rebellion," Ezra said. I looked down in silence, the memory of the last crew I commanded burning in my head. We've been taking too many losses recently, and I knew all too well what that felt like. "Fortunately, I have been working on a solution with the help of Fulcrum," Sato said. "Ahsoka?" Ezra asked. "She's still alive?" I wondered. "No. Fulcrum is a code name we give to our secret informants. It was Ahsoka's idea, and there are other agents," Hera explained. Ezra and I frowned that we truly never were going to see her again. "So, what's our mission?" Zeb asked. Sato pressed a button on the holoprojector to play back an audio recording. "I have information that may help you replace your stable of pilots. There are Imperial cadets at the Skystrike Academy who wish to defect to the rebels. I do not know their names, but they will require some assistance to escape. I suggest you move quickly before the Empire discovers their intentions. Fulcrum out," the voice said.

"This is enough to act on," Sato decided. "The mission is yours, Sabine. We've arranged to insert you into a squad of new cadets headed for Skystrike. AP-5 will prepare fake credentials," Hera said. "Wait, wait, wait. Shouldn't I be the one to go in? I've done this before, remember?" Ezra suggested. "Yeah, and I really was an Imperial cadet once. For years, remember?" Sabine countered. "I'm sorry, what now?" I said. I never heard either of these stories. Of course, they had very unconventional lives before and after they joined the crew, but getting this close to the Empire was a thought I had never processed. "The Empire knows you too well, Ezra. You'll be identified. Sabine is the least recognizable out of all of us," Hera rationalized. "If it's a secret identity you're looking for, why not send me instead? I don't even think the Empire has a record," I spoke up. The briefing paused as they all pondered my statement. Safe to say, the reactions were very mixed. "Y'know, Y/N actually has a point," Zeb said. "Well, we already chose someone for the mission," Hera emphasized. "Didn't he infiltrate and destroy a top-secret Imperial base a few weeks ago?" Ezra chimed in. "Yeah, with me. We wouldn't have succeeded alone, right Y/N?" Sabine said, getting my attention. "Yes, but me going in minimizes risk. If either of us gets caught, they don't have a name on me. Is that not protocol to register prisoners?" I retaliated. "Enough!" Kanan shouted, defusing the argument. "Sato, what do you think?" The commander thought for a moment before giving his verdict. "Y/N is more fit for this mission. He is correct that his lack of identity would cause the Empire some unwanted problems. I'm allowing him to redeem himself here," he ruled. I nodded at the commander, feeling pleased that I was given this opportunity. "Ezra, Sabine, and Kanan. You will shadow him and assist in his escape. Zeb and I have to supervise the escort for the new relief mission to Teralov," Hera said. I noticed the livid look on Sabine's face. I nodded at her, hoping that she'd understand this was in the rebellion's best interests. But she scoffed and turned away, which was reasonable. I'd probably do the same if she basically stole my mission. With our plan now in motion, I departed to the Ghost to rest.