The Bro Code

(Credit to @Laelish on Tumblr)

This galaxy is chaotic in every sense of the word, even more so than mine. One day we could be fending ourselves from Imperial patrols, and the next we could be running from Inquisitors and a Sith Lord. Not only that, but we always have to keep a strict measure on what supplies we have and need. Food, fuel, and first aid were becoming more scarce. All these great unknowns continue to pile on top of each other, and even then there always seems to be a glimmer of hope. We finally found a place to hide our fleet: In the spaceports of Garel, in plain sight. I heard the planet is a hub for trade, so supply runs are much more manageable. And whenever I'm not on missions, I'm honing my skills as a soldier and a mechanic. There was finally some structure in my life. I can't be mad at that, right?

Wrong. Today, I was doing blaster training under Rex's tutelage, but I had yet to hit the target he set up. "Aim, then fire," he kept saying. I barely missed every shot I took. The lasers traveled much slower than I thought and I hadn't adjusted to their lagging speeds. "Damn it!" I yelled out in frustration after whiffing a few more shots. I pocketed my blaster and went back inside the Ghost. I passed by Zeb in the hallway leading to the crew's cabins. "Meeting in the common room, Y/N," he told me. I sighed loudly, walking into the lounge, where Hera awaited us for a mission briefing. Kanan, Ezra, and Rex entered shortly after, enabling the captain to play the transmission from Commander Sato for everyone. "As we speak, the frozen planet of Rinn is facing an energy crisis. When their supply of fuel cells is gone, the settlements will not be able to power the heaters they need to survive. See what you can find, without delay." The transmission then ended. "They'll freeze down there," Sabine said. "Since we're on Garel, we should check out the black market," Ezra pointed out. "Bound to be generators or something we can get our hands on," Kanan agreed. "Gear up everyone, time to make friends with the locals," Hera prompted. The crew began to leave the room, but Ezra and I were held back. "Except you, Spectre 6. I asked you to clean the ion scoring off the Phantom's exhaust port. Twice," she reprimanded. "But I had Jedi practice. And blaster practice," Ezra pleaded. "Well now you have scrubbing practice," she countered. "And you're staying here, Y/N, for your little outburst. We can't have your spurts of anger jeopardizing our missions," Kanan scolded. Chopper laughed at us, which Hera didn't find amusing. "What are you laughing at? Uh-uh, you're gonna help them," she ordered. Chopper returned this inconvenience with some beeps and warbles. I'll never understand that rust bucket. "We'll discuss this later," the older Jedi said before leaving the Ghost. "Great," I muttered. "Let's just get this over with," Ezra said.

We took the cleaning rods that Hera left for us and got straight to work, neither of us happy about our current situation. Ezra was the first to voice his displeasure. "It's clean the Ghost, lightsaber training, blaster training." "It's do this, now this, here's something to do," I joined in his rant. "I miss the old days when everything was simpler," he replied. "Not running all the time, just doing my own thing and feeling good about it," I added. Chopper interrupted us with a repeated beeping sound, which meant someone needed help. "A distress signal? From who?" I questioned. Of course when I reminisce about the good times. "This is the Broken Horn. We require assistance," someone said from the other end. "Broken Horn? That's Vizago's ship!" Ezra pointed out. He seemed to be looking for an excuse to not clean the Ghost, and I couldn't blame him. I didn't want to be here either. "Okay, look. Someone's in distress, and if there's one thing I learned from Kanan it's that we help people in distress," he reasoned. He climbed back into the Ghost, and I followed suit. Chopper seemed to be protesting our decision, but we brushed him off, neither of us caring about what the droid had to say. "Well, let's go see what Vizago got himself into. I owe him a favor, and this could square us," Ezra said. "Besides, I'd rather deal with the dangers out there than be stuck here doing this," I chimed in. After a rocky takeoff, we ascended from the atmosphere and into space.