3.

* * *

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟

LOCATION:

The Ark—Hanger #3
_____
Coordinates:
40º 19' 10.5168" N
73º 8' 31.0416" W
_____

Delilah had managed to get around three hours of sleep, more if it counted that her body was well rested. But her mind had been far too wired with variables to calm down for more than a few hours.

Now, however, she was at the forefront of greeting her team with a blessing of steaming hot coffee. Sure, it was a little watered down, to ensure everyone gets a cup. But it was the gesture that counted, that Delilah cared and wanted to support her team.
Even if the breakfast spread wasn't all that grand, presentation-wise.

There were still ten minutes left on the clock, and while her mother and brother might not be privy to their schedule. Her father had promised to be there when the time came to depart, and yet, he still hadn't shown.

Delilah realized very early in life that any sort of encouraging words were solely meant for her brother. It was no longer considered odd for her to stand in front of the doorway before an examination, only to discover that her parents had misread her and never caught notice of what she was doing.

What she was studying or anything to do with her.

Personality wise especially.

Mitch assumed it was because they hadn't been prepared for a daughter, as sons were usually the ones to continue the family legacy.

Granted, even if she had been a son, there wouldn't have been a place or purpose—Consider there was never room for two Captains aboard to lead the Ark.

Speaking of Mitch, his hand rested on her shoulder with a therapeutic squeeze. If her parents permitted, she wouldn't have hesitated with an arranged marriage to her friend.
It happened often, where friends would wed out of necessity to save themselves from others.

In this case, Hardin was someone who she wanted to run in the other direction. But there were only so many places she could hide. Even then, Delilah didn't necessarily want to—The urge to be vocal and stay true to her beliefs remained at the forefront of her to-do list.

And that list meant leaving at 0500, with or without her father present.
Even with her speech given to her crew, she remained at the ramp of the Neptune as the floor below them was already prepared to part and open up to the ocean surrounding them.

Perhaps it was still ingrained in her head to sit around and be hopeful for her parents to make a turnaround, but with a minute to spare on her tablet, she waited one final inhale before turning to her side. "First Mate Roberts...Report." She said, with a firm bite to her order.

"All six members, including myself, are accounted for, ma'am," Mitch said, all with a pride grin showcasing on his face. His hands tucked firmly behind his back and at the ready.

It sparked a sense of confidence as she nodded to her second-in-command who couldn't be more prepared to jump into action. "We are going for launch, close the hatch, and prepare for departure." Without a moment of hesitation, Mitch had sounded off to those already awaiting inside for their own countdown.

With her heart rate rising, she continued up the platform and did not dare turn around to see if her father had shown up at the last moment. There would be no point.

Not when the promise was already faulty at best.

The Neptune had major reconstructing that needed to be done, which ultimately gave it the nickname of Frankenstein, as the team teased one another of. The mix-matched parts wouldn't be noted unless someone had taken the time to properly look. Some had to be altered to make the adjustments, but Delilah couldn't be picky.