4.

* * *

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟

LOCATION:

The Depths—Neptune
_____
Coordinates:
40º 18' 10.5160" N
73º 8' 31.0408" W

_____

"Solar, prepare docking protocols. Denvers, start the countdown." Delilah called out, announcing their approach to their inevitable return, though she had not felt as giddy in running numbers since she was up for a certification that only 2% of the members of the Ark qualify for.

Better yet, when she caught sight of a figure on the Hanger's floor, she had felt a sort of excitement course through her.

Only to discover that it was Hardin.

Perhaps she had too much hope in her father coming to greet them on their return.

"Ah, what a welcome home gesture." Mitch teased, but there was an apology written all over his face. More so for Delilah's sake than for the rest of the crew, and all she could do was close her eyes in denial.

Even if it wasn't technically public knowledge, there were bound to be rumors—Just as there were rumors sprouting left and right upon Hardin's character.

All focusing on just how much he gets around with any willing female of the Ark.

It made things even more concerning, and while adultery wasn't illegal—It was still frowned upon, yet with Hardin's position as soon-to-be Second in Command, there wouldn't be any chiding on his actions.

Not unless it was her own father or his.
Which ultimately meant nothing would be done.

"I'll handle him, start transferring the footage and pictures we took. Kettle, please focus on the coordinates." With an array of confirmations, Delilah had found herself wanting to remain in the Neptune.

Not wanting to face her fiancee was starting to make her feel sick to her stomach, and goodness, what was she going to do when they were finally married?

"Delilah! Did you just come back?" As she continued down the ramp as tried not to let out her groan. He stood there and watched them return, how the hell—

"Yes. How can I help you?"

"For starters, you could let your commanding officer know that you are leaving the—" Delilah closed her eyes once more and turned her head. Not allowing the words get to her, but finally allowing herself to smile once he had evidently finished.

"Actually, if you scroll all the way down on that tablet of yours to my proposal, you'll see I have gotten the Captain's approval for this mission and he even saw us off this morning. So no, you no longer have authority over myself or my team when it comes to this expedition." Seeing his teeth grit was entirely satisfying to see, but it would come at a price.

One she would go straight to her father for.

"As your loving fiancee, I am just suggesting that I want to know when you leave the Ark, 'Lilah."
"I'm sure my brother can do that for me, and as further as this project goes, I'll be out there for the majority of the day." She informed him, otherwise, that would mean his inbox would be swarmed with her whereabouts.

Which is what he wanted, wasn't it?
To track her, control her.

"Why are you fighting me on this?"

"What you're asking isn't necessary, Hardin. And if it was, you would've put more thought into your acceptance and voiced your concerns there. But now my brother and father are overseeing this project of mine." He huffed and tried to walk away, but in one swift movement, his finger had brushed her chest in warning.