Chapter 4: Hard words and disguised truths

ੈ✩‧₊˚

Few glances were meeting the two peoples' way. Don't blame the multiple owners of the eyes for that, since it is surprising to see Sherlock Holmes on the streets, walking with a woman at his side. A woman wearing trousers that are, according to a popular opinion, very unlady-like.

As much as Sherlock and y/n's way was created, the small chatter of curiosity had died down to bits under the man's hard stare. Even though he shouldn't care, since they were no longer together, he couldn't help himself trying to protect her.

ੈ✩‧₊˚

"Did something happen before Enola disappeared ?" Asked y/n, raising an eyebrow towards the detective.

The both of them were now inspecting the bedroom, looking around Eudoria's possessions. Sherlock had stopped his movements, knowing how the conversation would turn out if he said the truth. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't bring himself to lie into y/n's face.

"Mycroft had planned to send Enola at a..."

Pausing her searches, y/n turned around, now getting a better look at the broad looking man before her.

"Send her where Sherlock ?" She said, defiance in her voice.

Sighing he answered. "At a finishing school."

"Excuse me ?!" Her e/c were filled with fury and confusion. "You sent Enola to a finishing school. Are you out of your mind ?" She exclaimed, now fully standing tall right in front of Sherlock's face.

"No, thank you for asking." He answered sarcastically.

"Do not use that tone, Sherlock Holmes." The woman warned, pointing her finger right before his nose.

Stepping back, y/n took a look around the room, desperately trying to calm her raging emotions.

"Do you know how bad those places are for someone like Enola ? I mean even I couldn't stay that long at that horrifying place and, evidently, in the worst case scenario you put your sister there."

"I didn't have a say in this." He said, blue eyes never leaving the woman's pacing form.

"Right, you never do any way." Muttered y/n finally crouching down to reach the chimney. Her words had hurted Sherlock, his eyes sadly softening on the girl. "You said you found ashes under Eudoria's shoes ?"

Her question was simply answered by a small hum of approval. His gaze looked at y/n's arm trying to reach something in the chimney.

"Guess we know what to do next." Announced the young woman, pulling out a small packet of letters attached together by a small thread.

ੈ✩‧₊˚

Walking down the road, the two individuals stopped in front of a small cafe. Y/n's hand reached for the door, but before she could do anything a bigger hand caught the handle. Opening the door for her, Sherlock signed for her to enter the place.

The awkwardness of the interaction was sensed between the two but none of them said a thing. It was only a reflex of Sherlock that had gained the habit of opening the doors for y/n.

Letting the door close behind them, they both observed the small cafe with two different expressions painting their faces. One was amazed by all the books that decorated the multiple shelves encrusted in the walls while the other was more indifferent to the matter.

Taking a book in her hands, y/n quickly read the title before it was stolen from her by none other than Sherlock. That action had earned him a side glare from the girl, which made him quickly hide the small smirk that it provoked.