Chapter 12: Unspoken Promises

ੈ✩‧₊˚

"Another!" Exclaimed Mrs Davington after the last chord hit the room, plunging the accumulated into an enchanting bliss.

Upon hearing Mrs. Davington requested multiple spectators clap their hands in encouragement, wanting to hear furthermore of the girl's talent. The enthusiasm of the crowd was easily palpable in the grand ballroom, making y/n smile shyly.

"What should I play, then?" She asked in a polite manner.

"One of your wonderful songs with your lovely voice." The woman said, affectionately looking down at the girl she had grown to love like her own. "Perhaps your gentleman of a date can propose one?"

At the older woman's words, all eyes turned to find the detective broad form who was standing at the back of the crowd. Noticing the sudden attention on him, Sherlock's eyebrow raised as he didn't understand what was happening.

To be fair, he had lost himself in his thoughts, reminiscing old memories that should be long forgotten. Memories that should be forbidden to revisit after his separation with his ex lover. Yet, the melodious composition from his date for the night brought him to unspoken places.

"Excuse me, what?"

"You don't need to, if you do-" Interjected y/n, not wanting to cause any unnecessary drama.

"I believe as host of this gathering you, Mrs. Davington, should have the honor of choosing." He suggested, raising his glass towards the bubbly woman.

"Oh, well, if you must insist." Flattery worked well on her it seems and so, the hostess silently requested the song she desired to hear.

All waited with anticipation as they turned back towards the piano, watching intently the young promising artist.

Start the music here! ;)

Melancholic chords echoed from the majestic instrument as the orchestra slowly joined in the mix, creating a sumptuous but cheerless melody.

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I made a promise 𝅘𝅥𝅮 To distance myself 𝅘𝅥𝅮 Took a flight, through aurora skies 𝅘𝅥𝅮 Honestly, I didn't think about 𝅘𝅥𝅮 How we didn't say goodbye 𝅘𝅥𝅮 Just see you very soon 𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮 It hurts to be something  𝅘𝅥𝅮 It's worse to be nothing with you  𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮 So I didn't call you 𝅘𝅥𝅮 For sixteen long days 𝅘𝅥𝅮 And I should get a cigarette 𝅘𝅥𝅮 For so much restraint 𝅘𝅥𝅮 No matter how long I resist temptation 𝅘𝅥𝅮 I will always lose 𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮 It hurts to be something 𝅘𝅥𝅮 It's worse to be nothing with you 𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I've done the math 𝅘𝅥𝅮 There's no solution 𝅘𝅥𝅮 We'll never last 𝅘𝅥𝅮 Why can't I let go of this? 𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮 So I broke my promise 𝅘𝅥𝅮 I called you last night 𝅘𝅥𝅮 I shouldn't have, I wouldn't have 𝅘𝅥𝅮 If it weren't for the sight of a boy 𝅘𝅥𝅮 Who looked just like you 𝅘𝅥𝅮 Standing out on Melrose Avenue 𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮 It hurts to be something 𝅘𝅥𝅮 It's worse to be nothing with you 𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮 It hurts to be something 𝅘𝅥𝅮 It's worse to be nothing with you 𝅘𝅥𝅮

The last succession of notes were heard as the song finished, accompanied by the soft and delicate fading of the orchestra. All hearts were like in a trance as if they had seen angels descending from the heavens to bless this scene with wonders that the world has never witnessed before.