Chapter 6: Something Different

ੈ✩‧₊˚

The next morning followed, bringing soft light to the silent apartment. It was oddly contrasting with the tense atmosphere that had occurred the previous night. In fact, no more words had followed the two ex lovers, only a few 'here' and 'thank you' as y/n brought Sherlock to the room he would be using for the night.

The rain had stopped in the early hours, leaving the moon and the stars to shine until the sun took its place for the day. Sherlock's mind was a mess for most of the time as chaotic as the small thunderstorm that had presented itself for almost all the night.

His mind kept going between the past and the present wondering if doing what he did was really the right thing to do. But the more he thought about it, the more the hard truth appeared.

He did make a mistake. Maybe the biggest mistake of his life. He couldn't even blame the girl he had fallen in love with. The girl that was sleeping in the room right beside him. No, that wouldn't be fair. It was his fault.

On the other hand, y/n also had trouble finding sleep. She kept thinking why did the relationship they were in had to turn into such a disastrous mess. They were perfect before, why did it have to end so badly?

It was as if their whole relationship was, at first, caught up in a soft and gentle breeze, carrying them around the multiple obstacles that life can offer. And then, suddenly, the calm breeze changed into a strong and dangerous storm, pulling them apart from each other.

Despite everything. Despite the anger and inconsolable sadness that y/n felt, she had to stay resilient and be there for Enola. Even if it meant having to stay with Sherlock more than required.

ੈ✩‧₊˚

"She got sent to what!?" A tone of surprised and slight anger resonated around the room, y/n's voice startling Sherlock.

"She got sent to-"

"Yes, I heard that, I'm not deaf." Cutted off the young woman, her feet pacing around the room.

"Well I-"

"Sherlock." Said y/n, giving the taller man a look of disapproval. "Listen, she can't possibly stay in that establishment, it's horrible. Harrison's technique is to make you fit into the society's standards. They'll literally break you apart to build you back up again, changing you from A to B, even making you forget who you are. Do you even know how-."

Sherlock had watched her go from the corners of the room, his ears receiving each and every information y/n was blurting out. She even got so fed up with the idea of her friend being placed there that she had started speaking in French, making the detective even more confused than before.

"y/n?"

"What?" She spoke sternly and angrily, abruptly stopping in her back and forth walk.

"You're panicking." His tone was calm and gentle, not wanting to engrave the situation with being too firm with her. He received a sharp glare from her e/c eyes as she reacted to his statement.

"No, I'm not." She blurted out, avoiding eye contact as if meeting Sherlock's blue eyes would cause her to silently show him that he was right.

A long silence followed, y/n avoiding Sherlock's stare as they stood in her apartment's living room, contemplating the situation. Earlier in the evening, Sherlock had left the apartment, stating that he had to meet with Mycroft.

An hour or so later, he came back with the undesirable knowledge of what happened to Enola these past few days. Suddenly, y/n moved rapidly towards the door, under the, once again. incredulous expression of Sherlock. His eyebrows were furrowed and a small pout was adorning his face.