Chapter 1

July 19th, 2001 Michigan Adoption Center

The Yukimura sat quietly in the waiting room, waiting for someone to come up and tell them that they could finally choose someone to adopt. Noshiko Yukimura and her daughter, Kira Yukimura were sitting in a chair, a young 5 year old Kira sitting quietly in her mothers lap with her toy. Kira's father, Ken Yukimura, was standing next to the front desk.

They were waiting to be called so they could see the kids, and chose one to come to a new home with them. The two Yukimura adults have been wanting to adopt for quite some time, and Kira was ecstatic to have a sibling, whether they were younger or older. Noshiko was no longer allowed to have children, do to some medical problems when having Kira. The Yukimura family felt like something was missing, and Noshiko had the bright idea of adopting, and Kira squealed in delight at that.

When they were called in they started looking around, looking at different kids and Kira interacted with most of them, but they still couldn't seem to find the right one. No one felt right. Finally afterwards they were lead to the back by one of the assistants, which is where they saw a shy, frail girl.

They noticed that when Kira went to say hi to her, she didn't speak, she only waved...and that was something that intrigued the Yukimura's.

"That's Y/n, she's four and she is mute. She doesn't really like being around others, they always pick on her. She usually sticks to herself, but she really enjoys listening to music, and she likes to read and paint." the assistant said, talking to the two Yukimura parents, while Kira was talking to Y/n.

"If it's not too personal, why is she mute?" Noshiko asked.

"About 6 months ago, she got in a really bad car crash. She wasn't injured that much, but she does have a few scars. That's when she unfortunately ended up losing her parents, and she had 2 older brothers but they were never found, and were declared missing." the assistant told them.

"Oh God" Noshiko said in Japanese, covering her mouth, while Ken held a shocked face.

"I know...it's terrible, and Y/n has refused to speak ever since, and now she is mute. She is also still learning sign language, but hopefully over the years she will get very good at it."

Noshiko and Ken shared a look. "Mind if we try and talk to her?" Noshiko asked.

"Of course, you are always allowed to speak to any of the children, go right ahead." the assistant said.

Noshiko and Ken made their way over to where Y/n and Kira are. Kira was happily blabbering away, while Y/n was listening with an adorable smile on her face. Noshiko kneeled down to Y/n's level, with a soft smile on her face.

"Hey there, I was told your name is Y/n, mine is Noshiko, and this is my husband Ken, along with our daughter Kira."

Y/n looked at her, her head tilting in curiosity, while she held a blank expression on her face. Noshiko looked around and noticed that there was a painting behind Y/n. It was a beautiful moon, with a wolf howling. It had many different colors, with shading and dark purples, blues, and pinks. It was quite impressive for a four year old.

"Is this yours?" Ken asked, while Noshiko observed the painting, and Kira's mouth widened in shock. Y/n nodded, with a bright smile on her face, as she got up and walked over to the painting, happy to show someone her painting.

"That is so cool!" Kira said, walking over to the painting.

"It is very beautiful, Y/n." Noshiko said.

Right when the family of 3 was about to say something, the assistant came back.

"Sorry to bother you, but your time is up, it's time to make your decision." the assistant said.

Noshiko and Ken held hands, while Kira trailed behind them, but she was waving to Y/n and Y/n waved back. They were taken back up to the front office, where the front desk lady and the assistant were waiting.

"Have you decided on which child you would like to take home?" the front desk lady asked.

Noshiko and Ken looked at each other, while Kira was tugging on both of their pant legs, saying Y/n's name, it seemed like Kira had already become quite fond of Y/n already.

"We'll be taking the lovely Y/n, please." Ken said, Kira jumping up and down in happiness.

"That sounds great, we will go get her stuff, and all you have to do is sign some legal documents, and ASL lesson plans, then you can take her back to your house." the assistant said, handing Noshiko and Ken some papers.

Y/n was back painting in the back of the playroom when one of the assistants came up to her, telling her she should get her stuff together, and that she was being adopted. As Y/n was packing up, along with the help from some others, the smile never left her face, she had an idea who was adopting her, and she had no problem with that at all.

Y/n walked down the stairs while an assistant was carrying her bags behind her. Y/n didn't pack much, just all her favorite books, all her painting supplies, all of her favorite paintings, clothes, and other necessities. When she walked down the stairs she saw the Yukimura family waiting for her, and Kira came up and hugged her

"You get to be my new young sissy now!" Kira said happily, smiling while clinging to Y/n. Y/n smiled and hugged back, she was ready to go home with the Yukimura's, and she had a feeling that she wasn't going to regret this.

The Yukimura's took her back to their motel, they informed Y/n that they were only staying in Michigan for a little while, because they were only there because they were looking for adoption centers, and that their real home was back in Japan. Kira had been talking to Y/n the whole time, telling her about their home in Japan, and about all the cool places there. Y/n sat there and listened, her eyes seeking interest in Kira's words, as she would also stare outside the window from time to time.

Noshiko and Ken were simply smiling, knowing that this was a great decision they just made.