Prologue

New Story!!!!🎉🎉🎉

This chapter/Prologue is a little background story if you like about the fml Kaya and will give you a deeper insight into how her mind is wired or how it works as you continue to read this story. (The ML is not in this chapter but dw he'll be there in the next chapter 😊)

But I must warn, like all my stories, this story and this chapter is quite heavy in content themes so please do read/check the warning before you proceed.

⚠️ Warning: this chapter includes a car crash with reckless driving involved. It also explores death and grief (also throughout the story). Please take care of yourself and read what you find most comfortable for you.

If you could read this chapter and continue reading, it is much appreciated.

P.S.A: I made a pinterest board for this story as well so if you would like to have a little check and get a vibe of our new couple, you can copy and paste this link :)

https://pin.it/57WqdWXHE

I hope you'll like this story!!!🪽
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birthdays weren't a hug deal in our family, but I wanted it to be one. In a week's time, it was my younger brother Kenji's birthday. But as much as he loves gifts, or rather the act of receiving one, he wasn't too keen on surprises so I decided it would be best if I just took him with me for some birthday shopping. That way he can choose what he really wants, and I don't have to use extra energy deciding on a gift that he may potentially never like, although he would never say that. He was too nice like that.

"You did say you will get me anything I want right?" Kenji questions with a knowing smirk on his face. I knew very well that, that smirk on its own earned a lot of keen interest among girls in school.

He's a year younger than me and was the epitome of your golden retriever boy. Bright, goofy, loyal, and just a presence you naturally feel comfortable with. Many even commented that we siblings were the golden retriever siblings given that we both share a similar happy positive approach to life despite the side of the world we live in. Yeah, couldn't say there was much brightness in an underworld.

"As long as it's within my budget, yes." I reply as we both walk along the footpath. 

"And how small is that budget?"

"Small? People normally ask how large it is, I'm upset you think I only have a few dollars." I say pretending to be offended, planting a hand onto my chest.

"Daddy's money?" He moves his brows up and down in that annoying but hilarious way. I swear to god this kid.

"Rich coming from you." I retort back, ruffling his dark brown hair we both share. He was turning 15 and he was already way taller than me. I had to go on my tippy toes to reach his head. It wasn't fair he had the tall genes, and I didn't.

He laughs at me for being on my tippy toes before I throw in a joking punch. I know it doesn't hurt because I put very little force into it, but he pretends like he got the worst ever blow by halting on the spot and bends down, wrapping his arms around his waist.

"That hurts, Kaya, I think I deserve two birthday presents." He pouts. If he had done that to our mother it would have worked wonders but it will definitely not work on me.

"Absolutely not." I say and he chuckles. It was also this smile all the girls were head over heels for. The charming one. The alluring one. Too bad he only had an eye for one particular girl. A girl who seems to ignore all his calls and give the side eye. What Kenji doesn't know is that she actually does like him. Watch me be their cupid.

It was an unusually warm autumns day, and we chose to walk over to the mall. It was going to become way too cold for walking this distance soon enough. Got to take advantage of it when and where we can. We both kick through the pile of neatly gathered leaves, probably being a public menace but we couldn't care less.

"So, what did you want?" I ask as I kick through another pile of leaves. There was something that brings satisfaction in this action and there would be no stopping me.

"I actually haven't thought it through. Might just wander around and choose something that peaks my interest." He gives me a grin. I knew that grin very well, he was plotting something. Something I knew would break my bank.

"Hm okay." I reply telling myself I'll chew him out when we start looking around, when I hear a rumbling of a car. I don't think much of it and just kept walking down the pedestrian footpath, but Kenji switches his spot with me so that he was on the side that was closest to the road.

"Wow, how so kind of you. I hope you'll do that to your future girlfriend." I comment and he groans like the mentioning of such thing was blasphemous. He knows that I know about this girl and I will annoy the hell out of him about it. What? Older sister duties.

The rumbling of the car creeps closer, the noise louder.

"You're not going to let go are you?" He comments shaking his head.

"Nope." I pop the 'p' sound just to annoy him all the more.

Screeching of tires hit my ears as the car crept closer.

But we failed to realise that it was speeding. Going miles over the speed limit. We failed to realise that the car itself was swerving or that it wasn't driving in a straight line.

I only realised in the split second before my life shattered. Right in front of me.

Kenji immediately used his body as a shield for me.

I should have been the one to protect him. I was the older one. I was the one who should've been the one to risk my life for him. Not the other way around. But I was rooted in the spot. And I didn't move.

I didn't even attempt to move.

But he did. Kenji did. To protect me.

The only thing I could remember was the car heading towards us. The impact. Glass shattered and split. Blood.

Lots of blood.

Blood on the car. Blood on the road. Blood on me.

Blood on him.

I also remember snapping back into reality, shaking Kenji.

"Kenji, Kenji." I say, in pain. I didn't know what was painful. Everything was.

Kenji's eyes don't open, and I become even more agitated. I shake him harder, call him out louder. His eyes don't open but thankfully, his lips do.

"Kaya . . . t-take care of Mom and Hikari." He whispers out in agony.

"No, no. You have to be with me." I deny his words. I wasn't going to accept such request.

"Don't trust Dad." He continues but I don't hear him.

"Kenji, open your eyes. Kenji you need to open your eyes, please." I beg.

"I love you Kaya. Thanks for  . . . being the best . . . sister I could ask for."

And then his lips close. I shake him again. Hard as I could, gritting my teeth from the pain. I yell out his name as loud as I could. But he never responds.

I scream and scream . . . and scream.

I don't know how long we were there for. Me on the floor, Kenji on top of me. I don't know how much blood we each lost. I don't know when the driver died. I don't know when I lost conscious.

I don't know when Kenji was stripped away from me.

But when I woke up next, Kenji wasn't on top of me.

He was gone.

Gone, gone.

His warmth gone.

His free attitude gone.

His smiles gone.

His presence gone.

He was . . . gone.

And I lost a part of myself.

And I would never retrieve back that part of me ever again.