Chapter 1 - Kaya

First Chapter!!!

⚠️Warning: Ideas of suicidal thoughts and negative self talk are explored within this chapter. Please take care of yourselves and read what is most comfortable for you.

This is so exciting for me to be able to share yet another story and tbh I love these two characters the most. Idk about you guys but I am a sucker for angsty childhood friend to lovers romance and this is one of them.

I hope you enjoy this story as much as I am enjoying writing it.

Without further ado, I hope you have fun reading this chapter. 💝🩷💝

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"People do not see you, they invent you and accuse you."

- Hélène Cixous

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sucks. It sucks a lot.

But I had no right to complain, and bad thoughts were bad thoughts. They shouldn't have a place in my head. Think positive thoughts. Summon them.

Do this for Mom. Do this for Hikari. Do this for . . .

It could've been worse. A lot worse.

As the traitor's eldest daughter, I could have been slapped with the sentence of death, or worse, watch as the rest of my family die before me.

But the Oyabun - the Leader of American Yakuza Organization granted mercy and had left our family alone. The only thing they stripped away was the money my father had made profit from the organisation, which was fair.

It wasn't my father's money, and it certainly wasn't mine or my family's. I wanted nothing to do with the money that wasn't earned rightfully, although that can be up for debate with this side of the world being illegal and all.

How my father planned and conducted kidnapping and attempting murder on the Oyabun's daughter was a thought I could never understand or process fully. He was seen as the most loyal man in the organization but now it was clear he was treacherous.

Greed. That was his motive.

I can't believe I was related to that man.

But then again, it seems my younger brother Kenji knew there was something wrong with him. But he was intuitive like that while I am clueless most of the time. I was pathetic, stupid, and clearly blind to my surroundings.

Taking in another breath and slowly exhaling it out, I square my shoulders and plaster on the best happy smiling face I've learnt to perfect before sliding the blindingly white hospital door open.

"Hi Mom." I greet cheerfully as I close the door walking over to her bed and take a seat that was situated directly next to it.

"Oh my, this is a nice surprise. How are you Kaya?" My mother asks as she watches me get in my seat.

My mother was a soft, quiet natured woman. She had the softest colored brown eyes and equally light brown hair. But with the chemotherapy she had been undergoing, she decided to shave it all off. Now, her hair was replaced by beige colored beanie.

"Good. Same old same old." I reply. "How are you feeling Mom?"

"Not bad myself. You know, Hikari visited a couple hours before you."

Yes, because I forced her to.

"Really? That's nice. I promise we'll come together sometime soon." I reply but I wasn't sure if I'll ever come with my younger sister. We were polar opposites and barely tolerated each other.