✈︎two

"siren,axis, up,up,up!" i hear a voice shout

"siren,axis, up,up,up!" i hear a voice shout. through my blurry vision i see a tall figure with dark hair. commander raven.

i watch as axis jumps out of bed and starts brushing her blonde hair. "siren,get up"commander raven says "miller up!" he repeats but using my last name. i force myself to lift out of bed. "get dressed both of you, commander thunder wants to see you" raven says.

"yes sir" axis and i say in unison, saluting him as he leaves the room.

"you think we're in trouble?" axis asks me with a worried face.

i shrug "hopefully not"

axis and i frantically scrape our hair into buns, then grab our uniforms and shove them on.

we stand infront of the mirror straightening them out before we look at each other and nod before we run to commander thunders office. i knock on and stand to attention.

"enter" i hear his voice say

axis and i walk in and glance around

"sir you asked for us?" axis says

"yes indeed i did, i have some news" he says

i glance at axis nervously through the corner of my eye

"at ease ladies" he says

"thank you sir" axis says

"so, how are you coping with bolts death" he asks

"well sir" i start off

"sir? call me robert, just for now anyway" thunder says

"okay sir" i start again using sir just out of habit.

"robert, siren call me robert" thunder repeats "you know what, siren im going to call you quinn and axis i'm going to call you cleo, there now we can get on the first name basis and you girls can tell me how you are coping with bolts death"

"well robert, it's hard for both of us, but we're strong we can push through" axis says confidently

i stare at my hands nervously fiddling with them.

thunder raises his eyebrow "cleo are you sure, i wouldn't say the same about quinn" he whispers

"quinn" axis says to me through gritted teeth

i snap back to reality and stand to attention out of pure instinct.

"oh for goodness sake quinn, at ease!" thunder says

"yes sir, i'm sorry sir, please forgive me sir" i say frantically.

"enough with the god damn sir, quinn!" thunder shouts.

axis glances at me as i stare at my shoes in embarrassment then she whispers to thunder as i'm in a world of my own, my thoughts racing, that image replaying over and over again. shots. falling. crash.sparrow emerging. sparrow pulling out a dead bolt. shooting down the enemy plane. screaming and crying. axis yelling at me to regain control of the plane.

"robert,she's not the same since bolt died, her and bolt were quite close, and then sparrow leaving made it worse for her, i mean the only memories she had with all 3 of them have disappeared because jasper took them with him" axis whispers.

"yes i can understand that" thunder says

"i'm worried about her sir, I mean robert" axis mumbles "she's been waking up in the middle of the night and sometimes i hear her talking in her sleep"

"talking saying what?" thunder asks

"well they vary but a lot of the times she screams bolt's name in her sleep, then begs thin air not to take him." axis says

"night terrors." thunder confirms

"she's not herself, i mean look at her, she's on a different planet" axis says, her blue eyes darting over at me. my facial expression is blank, that scene replaying.

"well, it will heal with time, meanwhile i have just received some important news that i'm afraid cannot wait" thunder says firmly "axis get siren to listen will you?"

"no longer on a first name basis sir?" axis asks cheekily.

thunder glares at her "do not push it axis, now get siren back on this planet"

i snap back from my daze without axis "i'm here sir"

"good because you two characters are going to top gun" thunder says suddenly.

my eyes widen in shock and a smirk creeps up on my face.

"there you will be flying against the best fighter pilots in the U.S for 10 weeks, so you better count yourself lucky you've even got this opportunity" thunder says

"yes sir!" axis says

"thank you sir" i say

"and another reason to count yourself lucky is that i'm even giving you a chance considering you're female" he continues "a lot of the navy believes women can't do the things that men do. but i think to hell with them, you girls are by far the best pilot and radar intercept officer i've ever seen, and i've spent a lot of time in the forces, 30 whole years"

"thank you sir!" axis and i shout in unison

"you girls better do me proud" thunder says "now go get your stuff ready you're leaving soon, and enjoy being the first ever females at top gun, dismissed."

"thank you sir!" axis and i repeat again in unison saluting thunder , before we share a grin with eachother and head out of his office.