✈︎nine

axis and i arrive at base after a few minutes in the car

"come on then" axis says opening her door and climbing out.

i nod silently and climb out and follow her into top gun, immediately my eyes catch on maverick in the distance, his sharp jawline and nose extremely noticeable. man he's so cute.

i watch as he stops his conversation with goose and snaps his head towards us. his face breaks out into a cheesy grin
"siren!" he yells out to me "hey!"

"mav, hey how was flying yesterday?" i ask once he makes his way up to us.

"pretty good, you?" he replies grinning like a fool

"i was flying with iceman as my wingman, you best believe it was straight-faced, no games the whole time" i say

maverick pats me on the back "i missed you"

i roll my eyes at him "the last time i saw you was like 14 hours ago"

"that's ages to go without a pretty face like yours"

my cheeks flush bright red and axis and goose look at each other with a knowing expression. maverick just stares at me with that stupid smirk of his.

"real smooth mav" i reply laughing my cheeks still a luminous red

he shrugs "worth a shot"

"she's blushing" goose says to maverick

"am not!" i protest

"yes you are" axis says excitedly, ready to join in on the fun.

"glad to see my charm worked on you" maverick says

"sure, whatever" i say as we head to the hangar "shut up now, i don't feel like getting screamed at this early in the morning"

"someone's cranky" maverick says as he follows in behind me.

i shoot him a glare and he raises his hands in surrender before sitting himself down next to goose infront of me and axis.
as we wait for the higher up to begin speaking my mind starts to wander. did maverick really mean what he said? or was it just a joke?

"you think he really meant what he said?" i whisper to axis

"maverick? yeah." axis whispers back

my cheeks burn again when she says that. it can't be true, can it?

"maybe you guys can get together, then you and maverick won't be the only single people in the group"