✈︎twelve

axis and i arrive back at base housing a bit later than i was hoping

"have fun talking to mav?" she asks with a smirk on her face

"yes i did actually" i say

"well i quite enjoyed singing" axis says still smirking

"of course you did" i say rolling my eyes "that was so embarrassing but weirdly kind of romantic"

axis giggles loudly "not many girls can say that a hotshot naval aviator from top gun grabbed a microphone in a crowded bar and started singing 'you've lost that lovin' feeling' to her infront of everyone."

"i suppose so" i reply throwing down my purse on our couch "see you in the morning"

axis nods "goodnight"

i walk into my room and shut my door, i stare at myself in the mirror. i put my hand where the stupid scar is, i hate it. it's a permanent reminder of what happened. a permanent reminder of how it's my fault. axis tells me it's not, but that nagging voice at the back of my head lingers there. screaming at me, telling me it's my fault.

groaning i begin pulling off my uniform shying away from the mirror into a corner so i don't have to look at the scar, i take bolts dog tags off and place them under my pillow like normal routine before selecting some random black t-shirt with metallica on it and some plain white sweatpants.

i crawl into my bed pulling the covers up to my chin. i can hear axis' bed creaking as well meaning she's asleep.

i grab bolts dog tags and stare at them in the dark, feeling the engraved letters. i feel my eyes start tearing up.

here we go again..

i frantically dab at my eyes to try and stop the tears from flowing but it fails, tears drip down my face like a stream as i stare through blurry eyes at his name. if anyone saw me right now they'd think i was crazy, crying over some dog tags. but it's my last part of him i have. the guilt creeps back into me, i know deep down i should have handed these to his family along with all his other stuff sparrow,axis and i handed over. i think of sparrow, he took one of bolt's rings, the gold chunky one he liked to wear to bars. i suppose it's not that bad right?

i clutch them with a death grip like they're magically going to grow legs and run away, letting the tears stain my face. i hear a loud bang at my window making me jump a mile. i use my bedcovers to wipe the tears off my face and i slowly creep towards my window. weary of whatever that bang was. maybe it was a burglar? i grab a random vase from my bedside table wielding it as if it were a weapon and i throw open the curtains only to see handsome face staring back at me. i take a few steps back, there is no way that MAVERICK is at my window right now.

he gestures at my face then points at my window trying to get me to unlock it, i shake my head and i point to the left side at the front door. he nods and disappears from my view. i creep out of my room still unknowingly holding the vase slowly tip toeing along the floorboards so as to not wake axis.