Little Warning

The castle was bustling with servants early in the morning since they were ordered to wake to finish preparing for the festivities. The female servants woke up at their usual time, but some were instructed to help the men prepare while Minah's ladies-in-waiting had to be by their mistress's side. Angelina was surprised to hear that there would be festivities in the castle. Something about it made her feel excited. Although she was made a servant, watching the festivities made her feel at ease. While helping Sorina tie her dress from the back, she saw Ioana walking toward her. "Oh, good morning, Ioana. I promise that I will try to please Lady Minah today and-"

"I need to speak to you in private; follow me to my chambers." Angelina and Sorina looked confused, but Angelina followed her elder to the chamber. Once inside, Ioana closed the door behind her. Inside her room was a full-sized bed with one cabinet, one mirror, and some wooden boxes with clothes. It was a small room that looked comfortable since it gave Ioana privacy. "I brought you here because the Voivode had given me orders regarding you. For tonight's festivities, you are to be the storyteller."

This surprised Angelina; Vlad wanted her to be the storyteller for the festivities. The more she thought about it, the more she wondered how Vlad knew about her storytelling. The young woman looked at Ioana and wondered if Ioana was keeping an eye on her. It didn't upset her because Ioana didn't have much of a choice, or the consequences would have been dire. "Is he sure that I should be the storyteller? I mean, I believe there are other people that have more experience than I do."

"It is his order, and we mustn't go against it. With that in mind, I would like you to think of a couple stories and you will not work with us."

"A-Are you sure? Did Vlad make such an order?"

Ioana eyed her with sternness. "You will not speak of his name. Remember to call him Voivode since he is our Prince. If the wrong person hears you say his name so casually, they will not hesitate to make you an enemy." Even though she had not known Angelina long, she could tell the young woman had a good soul. It was something rare in such a turbulent time. "To answer your question, he did not. I want you to have some time to get some ideas, but afterward, I want you to work in the great hall to help with the preparations. Worry not; Lady Minah will not dare say anything since our Voivode seems fond of you." Angelina was surprised by Ioana's bluntness. However, she couldn't help but shiver when Ioana mentioned Vlad's fondness for her. Angelina felt it was the opposite and that Vlad was using his power to get what he wanted; he terrified her. "I understand that you don't think as such, but I have never seen our Voivode give much thought to a female servant, not even Daciana. All I will say is be careful of your surroundings. Understand?"

"Yes, ma'am."

The women walked out of the room where the female servants walked out of the servants' quarters and toward their duties. When everyone left, Angelina sat on her bed, contemplating what story she should tell. Last night, she told a horror story, but now that she was in a horrifying era, she didn't want the story to be so negative. However, Angelina wanted the story to be exciting and full of anticipation. The thought of doing public speaking in an important festivity made her feel pressured not to make mistakes. "I won't be able to think of anything if I sit here and do nothing." Angelina decided to walk toward the great hall. The more she walked, the more she realized she was lost and didn't know where it was.

"It seems you are lost. Need assistance?" said a slightly frail masculine voice. 

Angelina stopped as she recognized the voice; she turned around. "It-It's you, Bioan, right?"

"You remember. Yes, it is I. I thought I would not see you again because I feared that the Voivode has done something to you."

"I am glad to see you are okay. Were you found innocent?"

Bioan walked closer to her but still kept his distance. "My life was spared since there was no evidence that I was a spy. I am a mere soldier born to a family of farmers. I was given the position of a mere servant, and I am no longer a soldier. I am certain I am here to be spied upon." He cleared his throat. "Forgive me. I shouldn't have been too bold. I know there are eyes everywhere, and we must be careful of what we speak of."

Angelina nodded. "Well, I'm glad you are well. I am looking for the great hall since I need to help prepare for some festivities." She noticed how quiet Bioan became; he looked grim. "I will take you there." The two walked quietly toward the great hall, and when they got closer, they saw many people going in and out with decorations, candles, and other cleaning objects. "I guess I am here. Thanks, Bioan. Will you be here for the festivities?"

This made him look confused. "Only a selective of servants are allowed to be in the festivities; it is usually the servants with higher ranks. Are you going to serve in the festivities?"

"The...Voivode, said that he wants me to be a storyteller during the festivities so, I am."

Bioan was silent, and just when he was about to speak, another male servant called out to him to help them bring in the wooden crates. "I must leave, and I hope to see one another soon. Also, be careful. Once you are finished with your duty, go as fast as you can." He walked away to help other male servants, leaving a confused Angelina wondering what he meant.