Advice

Angelina was still outside and on the floor by the balcony; her entire body was motionless. Her eyes had not once blinked; it was as if she was in a vegetative state. She was outside and on the floor for hours and hadn't realized it was late afternoon. "Angelina." Bioan noticed her on the floor when he walked to do one of his chores. He was confused when he saw her current state but then remembered about the previous events. When he received no response, the young man walked toward her, and at the corner of his eye, he noticed the sight below. The impaled bodies were on display; Bioan looked away. He knew Vlad loved using the method of impalement to punish those he considered his enemies. "Angelina, it's best that you move away here."

He helped her get up and gently grabbed her left arm, leading her away from the outside balcony. Once inside the castle, Angelina eventually got out of shock and noticed Bioan. "Oh, I-I didn't notice you. Sorry about that."

"There's no need to apologize for something trivial. I'm sorry that you had to witness such a sight."

"You knew this would happen, didn't you?"

Bioan was quiet as he gently let go of her. "Yes and no. I knew that the Voivode was planning something, but I didn't expect he would impale them. He would usually use that torture method for his enemies of war." He noticed that Angelina still trembled. "I imagine that you never had seen such torture methods."

Never in her life had she seen an actual impalement; Angelina wanted to scream in horror and tell Bioan obscenities. However, she reminded herself that Bioan didn't know that she time-traveled and that times were different from where she was from. "N-No. I guess you can say that I haven't. I never seen such...cruelty."

"I understand; I felt the same way when I first saw the horrors of the Voivode." Bioan looked around to ensure no one heard him speak about Vlad since it was against the rules. Spies were everywhere, and he knew that he had to be careful. "You should go and rest; you had a long day today." Angelina nodded as she slowly walked toward the female servants' quarters. Bioan watched her until she was no longer in view; he shook his head. "I can't help but feel that she will be in more danger than she already is." 

Meanwhile, Angelina eventually arrived at the female servant's quarters and went inside. There was no one in sight, and that suited her well. She didn't have the strength to speak to anyone. While walking toward her bed, she heard someone enter the room. The footsteps eventually stopped. "Angelina, you arrived."

The young woman didn't turn as she slowly sat on her bed. "Ioana, I...don't feel like talking." Tears were slowly forming; the image of the impaled nobles plagued her mind. She then heard Ioana walking toward her and stopped behind her. Ioana then gently grabbed Angelina's hair and began to play with the lower half first. She then massaged her scalp as her hands trailed upward and downward repeatedly. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Ioana was silent for a moment as she still kept massaging Angelina. "Would have there been a difference if I told you?"

"A difference?" Angelina turned around and faced Ioana, who was expressionless. It felt offensive that Ioana didn't have consideration to prepare her for a monstrous act. "It would have made a huge difference! I would have refused the offer! I-!"

"You didn't see the process of the nobles' execution. Also, it would be best if you were not comical in stating your refusal. Voivode wouldn't have stood for it, and he wouldn't have hesitated to punish you. Would you prefer that?" Ioana shook her head. "You wouldn't have lasted; you would have begged for death."

Angelina felt nervous that Ioana was expressionless like she had no soul. Ioana still had a soft grip on her hair, and she slowly turned her back on Ioana, who began to massage her scalp and hair. There was no denying that the older woman was making her feel comfortable. "Maybe she is trying to make me feel better." Angelina sighed as she got the bed covers and covered herself. "I'm sorry that I snapped at you. I-"

"No need to apologize. You have seen too much."

"V-Vlad wants to make me his mistress; he said that he won't touch me until the time is right." A shiver went down Angelina's spine. "I'm scared. I don't want to be a mistress."

The older woman stopped massaging Angelina; she looked at her. Ioana couldn't help but feel pity for Angelina. "What an innocent soul. To be in such a cruel time." She slowly walked around and sat beside Angelina. "I know that you do not wish to be a mistress, but many women here would consider it a blessing." Before Angelina could respond, Ioana continued. "I know you would not think it as such. However, you must understand that many women in and out of the castle are commoners, trash in the eyes of the powerful. To become a mistress to a man of noble birth does bring some comfort, but it can also be a burden. Even if a woman does not have a choice."

"I still don't want to be his mistress. If he is such a man of God, then why commit adultery if it is a sin?"

Ioana smiled as she patted Angelina's back. "Men and women tend to follow what they wish and turn away from God when they choose. God will be their judge." She stood up. "I also find it interesting that the Voivode will wait to claim you. He would usually bed his mistresses."

Angelina slowly looked at her. "What are you trying to say?"

"That you are different to him. When you have time with him, try to get to know him. Perhaps there is more to the Voivode than meets the eye. Now rest. Tomorrow, you will work under Lady Minah." Ioana walked toward her room and shut the door.

Angelina sat still as she slowly lay down on the bed. She couldn't forget Ioana's words and was dreading tomorrow night.