Sultan Mehmed II

In Devlet-i Aliyye (the former name of the country of Turkey), night befell the skies, and the Ottoman people in the central city of Istanbul prepared for the night. However, slightly far from the city was none other than Topkapı Palace, whose walls were made of beautiful white Marmara marble that shone like the moon. The outside was covered with green trees that gave the palace a mysterious sight and was before a port that led to the ocean waters, giving it a heavenly sight. Fire torches lit the outside and the interior of the palace. 

Inside, endless halls led to many colorful rooms with beautiful pattern designs and writings from the Quran. The colors ranged from gold, blue, red, green, and white, giving everyone who entered a sense of awe and tranquility. 

One of the particular rooms was the meeting room, where the Sultan and his councilors would hold meetings regarding the Empire's Empire's troubles. Inside, the meeting room was mid-sized, with a long couch-like throne decorated with gold and red cushions. Maps made of fabric were connected to the beautiful walls, and some rugs were on the marble floor. Candles in beautiful glass lanterns lit the room as the Sultan and the pashas were having a meeting. 

The current Sultan was none other than Mehmed II. Mehmed was in his late twenties with light olive skin that shined, beautiful green hazel eyes, short and curly light brown hair, and a well-trimmed light brown beard. He was five feet and seven inches tall but had a slight athletic build with a hint of chubbiness. His light pink lips were thin, and he had a long nose, but his face held beauty and youth, as well as a sense of sternness and wisdom even for his young age. Mehmed had a lot of duties to do regarding the empire, and his forefathers maintained with an iron fist, but one problem after another arose, specifically in Wallachia.

Vlad.

Whenever the Sultan heard that name, his head began to hurt. Mehmed II had known Vlad since childhood and his brother, Radu, since they were prisoners of war. However, his father, Murad II, didn't treat Vlad and Radu entirely like prisoners. He ensured that the boys received a good education and learned their ways. Mehmed  remembered that Radu accepted the ways of the Ottomans and enjoyed their culture. The voices of his Pashas were ignored as he remembered his time with Radu and the man's beauty and warm personality as he grew older. He and Radu are still close; Radu would visit him occasionally but would go to Wallachia to visit Vlad. 

 Vlad was different. He was rebellious and not afraid to fight or speak back when he disagreed with something. Mehmed II heard rumors about what was done to Vlad, but the young Sultan didn't believe it since those actions were a sin. However, he would remember that Vlad always eyed him and the pashas with terrifying disdain. "Sultan?"

Mehmed got out of his thoughts and eyed his council. "Forgive me, I have been dazed. What was discussed?"

"The Voivode is making it difficult for our nations to have peace. He forgets the kindness the previous Sultan had given him and Prince Radu since they were children. They were given everything that prisoners of war would dream of having," said one of the older pashas.

"I agree, and Prince Radu is more suited to be Voivode of Wallachia. He accepts our teachings, and I believe he can teach the infidels the right path to Allah. Also, we have received word from our spy that Vlad had many of the boyars and their wives impaled."

Everyone in the council was silent when they heard the news. Mehmed had been to many wars in his youth because he had no choice but to go. He was the Sultan and needed to show leadership to the men who fought for him and the empire. His eyes had seen the many aspects of the horror of war, but he had never used impalement on his enemies. Mehmed also heard that Vlad used implements while fighting against the Saxons, and the descriptions that his spies told him were horrific.

A chill went down his spine. 

"Vlad is becoming insane; he has enemies everywhere, and he must be stopped. I agree that Radu is a better fit to be Voivode, and we will do everything to put him in that position. However, we must try to make peace with Vlad for one last time."

The Pashas looked at one another, surprised by the Sultan's decision. "But, Sultan. Why would we give this infidel another chance for peace? He clearly despises our people, and his actions show this."

The Sultan nodded. "I know, but we must show those around us that we are being more reasonable and want peace and stability. What I want to be done is that three envoys will be sent to Wallachia to remind Vlad of his failure to pay us homage. Not only that, but I want the envoys to remind him that whatever Vlad decides, he has the final say on whether or not war will occur."

The Pashas nodded and bowed to the Sultan as they left the meeting room, leaving the Sultan alone. He sighed while massaging his forehead. It was not easy being a Sultan since he had to keep the stability of his empire and surpass his forefathers. Sometimes, Mehmed wondered if decisions were always the best, but he knew that his patience and to see things assisted in making those decisions. He stood up and called out to one of the male servants outside the door.

The male servant entered and bowed. "Sultan, how may I serve you?"

"Inform the Kizlar Agha (Chief Black Eunuch) that I wish for a concubine in my quarters for the night."

The servant bowed and went to follow his order while the Sultan walked toward his chambers to await his partner for the night. He knew the envoys would be sent tomorrow morning and had some hope that Vlad would be reasonable, but there was a high possibility that Vlad's hatred would get the better of him.