The Lycans

June 12
                      The Land of Earth
                            (Moondale)

After leaving Strelitzia, Gilbert and Nolen headed to the town of Moondale, his mother's hometown. They arrived late in the evening. The sun had gone down and the sky turned dark. They began to approach a large house on top of a hill. The two exited the carriage and walked to the front door.

To say the boy was nervous would be an understatement, he had been nervous to meet Mayleigh but didn't feel nervous at all after meeting her because she was a Guardian. He was extremely nervous to meet his grandparents for the first time, what if they despised him he had thought the whole way there, for no reason at all what if they didn't like him?

He walked slowly, dreading the moment he'd finally see them and they'd finally see him. Gilbert noticed and turned to the look at the boy who was dragging his feet behind him.

"Are you alright?" He questioned and Nolen perked up.

"Yes, I'm alright." He said.

"Nervous." Gilbert stated, it hadn't been a question. "It'll be okay, they've been wanting to see you since you were little."

They reached the door and Gilbert knocked twice. They waited a few seconds and the door flew open. In the doorway stood an old woman with dark brown hair, that was tied up, littered with gray strands. Her golden eyes moved from Gilbert to the boy next to him. Her hand covered her mouth and before she even realized it, tears had been streaming down her face.

Nolen stared up at the woman as a man joined her in the doorway. He had black hair that was also littered with strands of gray and gold eyes that watched him closely. The man wrapped his arm around the weepy woman and turned to look at Gilbert.

"Gilbert." He acknowledged.

"Joel." Gilbert greeted, nodding his head. "May we come in?" He asked.

"Of course."

————————————————————————

The four quietly sat at the large wooden table. Having stopped her weeping the woman sat up straight and introduced herself.

"Nolen." She smiled. "I'm your grandmother, my name is Edith and this..." She said, gesturing to the man beside her. "Is your grandfather, Joel."

"Hello..." The boy greeted quietly, Edith smiled while Joel's frown remained.

"You probably don't remember but we both attended your naming ceremony, it had been the first time we ever saw you." His grandmother explained though he hadn't remembered, he was only a baby when it took place. Every Guardian had a naming ceremony at five months old, a ceremony in which their name was revealed to their country. "By the way, how was the ride here? I hope it wasn't too much trouble." Edith said and Gilbert was about to respond but was interrupted by Joel.

"Your father kept you hidden from us." He stated. "It's why we were only able to see you during your naming ceremony."

"Joel..." Edith said, giving the man a pointed look as the front door opened. In walked a young man he stared at the boy with surprise in his eyes before he scoffed and marched up the stairs. Joel was next as he pushed his chair back and stood from the table before walking into a nearby room and closing the door behind him.

"Please excuse them." Edith sighed. "They are... stubborn."

"It is fine, besides we should begin making our way to the inn." Gilbert said as he began to stand but was stopped by Edith.

"Nonsense." She said as she too stood. "You and Nolen are always welcome to stay here for the remainder of your visit." She stated though they hadn't quite felt welcomed with all the... stubbornness going around. "I insist."

Gilbert looked to Nolen, silently asking him what he'd be comfortable with.

"Okay." Nolen finally spoke up. "We'll stay here for the rest our visit."

"Are you certain?" Gilbert asked and he nodded his head. "Okay, I'll go get our things." He said as he stood from the table.

————————————————————————

After Gilbert retrieved their bags they were taken, by Edith, to the rooms they'd be staying in. All tucked in, Nolen watched as Gilbert made his way to his bedside.

"Do they not like me?" He whispered.

"They are your grandparents, they love you." Gilbert stated and the boy went silent. He thought that if his grandparents did love him why were they acting so hostile towards him.

"Maybe you're right..." he said as he turned over and closed his eyes. The sooner he went to sleep, the sooner morning would come and the sooner morning came the sooner he'd be able to work on improving his relationship with his grandparents, after all, they were a part of what remained of his family...

————————————————————————