Chapter 4: Under That Attitude, He's Kinda Hot

"Okay. The rules are officially taken down," James announced as he tore the paper up, letting the sheds fall into the trash beneath him.

"So tell me, what are you going to teach me tomorrow?" Jen asked.

"You'll find out tomorrow."

"Fine. But it better not be any of this kissing stuff. I'm telling you," Jen declared, crossing her slim arms over her chest. She had a slight look of disgust, and she pouted a bit. James thought it was cute.

"Like I would want to kiss you," James muttered to himself as he grabbed his computer and started working at his desk.

The next morning Jen woke up, and like usual, James was gone. It was Friday, the one day of the week she didn't have class, so she decided to finally rearrange the dorm with decor she meant to use on the first day. She dragged James's stuff back to his side and decorated hers to how she wanted it to be.

She glued lilac flowers to the frame of her long closet mirror, hung fairy lights above her bed, and decorated the twin-long bed with fluffy white pillows. She was about to sprinkle her Taylor Swift 'Lover' poster with fine pink glitter, when she got an emergency message from Kris to meet her in her dorm room. Jen shut the door and walked out.

Meanwhile, James was at the bowling alley, catching up with Kevin again.

"I wonder if she's going to come today," Kevin said, glancing toward the couches filled with college girls, recording and giggling about Chad. Kevin was in awe, staring into the distance, his hands planted to support his head.

"Who?" James asked.

"Genesis."

"Why? It's not like multiple girls don't come to the bowling alley at this time just to watch Chad," James said, chugging the rest of his root beer down again.

"I know. But she comes on different days. It's just weird," Kevin said before quickly brushing the subject off.

They both simultaneously turned their heads toward the farthest lanes where Chad was wrapping his marauding hands around a popular sophomore who had a boyfriend, the president of the chess team. How is a guy like Chad ever going to settle down ethically?

"Hey Kev, I'm going to head out now. I'll talk to you later," James said, leaving his empty soda glass on the counter before hopping off the stool and leaving. He walked to the dorm buildings and headed inside his room, pondering what to tell Jen for their first lesson. What's the easiest thing they can start with? He opened the door to see that Jen was gone. And the room was different?

His overstayed chessmen were kicked to his bedside. The queen was down. His posters were down and rolled up on his bed. And his containers were crowding his desk space, so he couldn't stretch if he sat down and worked. Her efforts would go to waste since she will be packing up before the semester ends anyways. James shook his head and started picking up his containers like he was a hired mover.

***

"How would that even work though?" Kris asked, lying lazily in bed in her boy shorts and oversized shirt. Her emergency was boredom.

"No clue. I guess he's going to give me lessons to help me get Chad," Jen said, sitting in front of Kris on a desk chair.

"Yeah but—what if you—I don't know...fall for him?" Kris asked, slithering on top of her mattress, head hanging off the bed and staring bulls-eye straight at Jen now.

"I'm not dumb Kris. I'm laser-focused on my goal."

"Yeah but. What are these lessons even gonna consist of?" she asked.