Chapter 34: We Are Waiting James Part 2

Three months ago

James's back was turned on Ana, not even sparing her a quick look as he sat down on the couch. He had just told Jen that he felt nothing with her. That was far from the truth. He swallowed at his own brutal words, and stayed in that position for a few minutes, as Ana soothingly rubbed his back.

"James?" Ana murmured. James didn't say anything.
Ana cleared her throat, "I was thinking that maybe we could–" he still wasn't paying attention, eyes glued to his phone screen.

"James!" Ana said louder this time, putting her hand on his shoulder.

James looked at her over his shoulder distractedly, mind seemingly elsewhere, "What?"

"Can we talk about what to do now?" she asked

"I didn't want to hurt her," James said quietly.

"I know. But sometimes we have to hurt the people we love. I mean, without money, would she even want you?"

"What?" James shook his head.

Ana placed a hand on James's knee, "Why else would she want you? If you chose her, and lose all your money, she'll leave anyways."

James looked at Jen, who had her head tilted to the side, waiting for his response

"You're my friend," James said. And I'm in love with you.

"With all due respect James, if we're friends, then I would prefer if you wouldn't kiss me." She looked him stone cold in the eyes, tears turning into distaste. "Please don't lead me on any more than you already have."

"Jen, wait but I—"

Both of their phones dinged. It was the group chat.

Kris: Jen, where are you? :(

James R: Are any of you guys in BIO 153?

Kevin: Jen :(

Kris: I'm literally going to be so upset if I don't see her

Jen felt awful and conflicted. She wasn't sure if she should text Kris or let things be. After a moment's hesitation, she put her phone down and lay on her bed.
"I'm sorry, James. I'm tired," she yawned, closing her eyes.

"It's okay," he whispered.

As she fell asleep, James quietly approached her, ensuring not to wake her. He gently pulled the blanket up to her shoulders, and she instantly relaxed. Dimming the lights for Meg, he then crawled into the other side of the bed beside Jen.

***

Jen woke up to the sound of her alarm clock. Turning it off, she slowly got up, accidentally stepping into her empty suitcase she had forgotten to pack the night before. She didn't even remember falling asleep. Meg was already in the bathroom.

Jen rushed to her closet and grabbed a bunch of clothes, tossing them on her bed, when she noticed a huge lump. It was James. He slept with her?

In a hurry, Jen folded everything except the clothes she was going to wear that day and stuck her music books inside. After Meg finished, Jen went to the bathroom to brush her teeth, wash her face, and change clothes.

Meg went out of the room to warm up the car and get ready for their trip back to Denver. Jen was just getting out of the bathroom when she did another check of the room.

James suddenly woke up, looking around the hotel room, confused.

"Why are you up so early?" he asked, his voice sleepy, stretching his arms out. "I'm always up before you."