Chapter 10: This was not the plan part 2

Jen's sleep was rudely disturbed by the loud beep of her alarm going off at five in the morning. She sat up in bed, rubbing her eyes, and glanced to her right, where James stood wearing nothing but sweats and a tank top.

Just as she looked, he slipped off his top, flashing his back muscles and making Jen turn back around with her eyes wide. God, he was well-built. She sat up for a minute until she heard the door push together. Landing her feet on the stool underneath her, she grabbed her shower caddy and headed to the bathroom to freshen up.

While showering, Jen wondered where James was taking her so early in the morning. After dressing in a long-sleeve black shirt paired with a pink short skirt and leggings, she checked her watch and waited for James to return. He soon arrived to drive her to their early morning destination.

James had one hand at twelve o'clock, and his other hand was on the armrest. He wobbled his hand when he noticed Jen didn't take any initiative.

"Are you that tired?" he asked her.

Jen shook her head, recalling Chad's reaction when she tried to hold his hand. "I tried it with him yesterday. He didn't like it."

"Maybe you didn't do it right," James suggested, his hand shaking more anxiously.

"Oh, okay," Jen said, furrowing her eyebrows as she took hold of his hand on the armrest, interlocking their fingers.

"He really didn't like this?" James asked, squeezing her hand a few times.

"No, I tried to do it and he pushed my hand away," Jen said.

"Maybe try something else. Like, rub your hand on his leg," James suggested, unwinding their hands so he could focus on driving with both hands on the wheel.  "Try it on me."

Jen reached her hand out tentatively, her fingers grazing James's thigh as she rubbed it, feeling awkward and uncomfortable. She glanced away from him, unsure of herself.

"You gotta be natural with it," he said as he pulled into a –woah. A beautiful house. Jen's eyes widened in surprise. If she had known he was taking her here, she wouldn't have dressed so casually, she thought, feeling more comfortable as she looked over at James's laid-back attire of denim and a shirt that probably came from the bottom of his drawer.

It was a three-storey wide almond brown stucco building with tall shuttered windows and wide verandas, surrounded by fall-themed trees. James pulled into the driveway, and they both walked on the white-tinted asphalt. Jen stared in awe as the door opened to reveal a smiley, plump lady wearing an apron.

"James. I did not expect to see you today!" The lady walked up to him, pulled him in for a hug, and then kissed both of his cheeks.

"I know, but I had to come see you."

"Is this your girlfriend? She's so pretty," the lady exclaimed, turning her attention to Jen. Jen smiled back at her.

"Yes, this is my girlfriend, Jen. But, Jezebel, I want to take her to a dance party, and she needs a special dress. I was wondering if you could help her pick one out," James said.

"Oh, Jen. We have tons of dresses here for romantic events," Jezebel told Jen. "They're long–"

"That would be perfect," James interrupted.

She let them in. "I'll take care of it for you," she said to James. "Follow me," she told Jen, leading her to a private closet on the second floor.

Jen admired the house, as they walked. It was gorgeous, although it was empty. No knick–knacks, no family pictures, just furniture and arbitrary pieces of art.