𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐱𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐬.

chapter 14! shitty excuses

🦋🩵🌊

THIRD PERSON

🦋🩵🌊

"after you," peter says, holding the door open for mckenna

"thank you," she replies, smiling at the gesture, "hi mr. delmar."

"what's up mr. delmar?" peter asks, grabbing sour gummy worms.

"hey kids, number five right?"

"yeah, um and uh with pickles and can you smush them down real flat?" peter asks, clapping his hands together, "thanks."

"you got it boss," the cook replies.

"hi murph," mckenna says, gushing over the cat.

he begins to pur as she scratches behind his ear.

"how's that going?" mr. delmar asks peter.

"nothings going on," peter responds, diverting his eyes from mckenna's addicting smile.

"el esta enamorado de la chica," (he's in love with the girl) mr. delmar says in spanish, making peter's eyes widen.

"cómo está tu hija?" (how's your daughter), peter asks, changing the conversation from the sensitive topic.

mr. delmar just stares blankly at the kid before standing up straight, "twenty dollars."

"it's ten dollars," peter says pointing at the board above.

"for that comment it's twenty."

"hey, come on i'm joking. i'm joking," peter says, getting the ten dollar bill out of his pocket, "here's ten dollars."

"what's up murph," peter says, walking closer to mckenna, and petting the cat.

he accidentally brushes his hand against hers, making her nose feel warm. neither of their hands move, not know what to do in the moment.

peter's eyes move at lightning speed, looking all around the small shop.

"so how's school?" mr. delmar asks the two.

"okay, it's getting repetitive," mckenna says, trying to control her thoughts, that are running over the dream she's been having repetitively.

"ah, it's boring. got better things to do," peter responds, now looking at mckenna's freckles and the scarlet haze on her nose.

"stay in school, kid. otherwise, you're gonna end up like me," mr. delmar states.

"nah this is great," peter says.

"best sandwiches in queens."

mckenna says goodbye to the cat and grabs the bag of sandwiches and gummy worms.

"thank you mr. delmar. see ya tomorrow."

"bye kid, it's always a pleasure," mr. delmar says, smiling as he notices the pink that made a home on mckenna's nose.

★・・・・・・★

"so, why can't you go to nationals?" mckenna asks, taking a bite out of her sandwich.

"i- mr. stark might need me kenna. i have to be here if he needs me," peter says.

"i get that. but pete, that's a pretty shitty excuse. he's busy enough that he doesn't need interns at the moment, and if it's really going to interfere he would understand, i just think you should talk to him about it before making a decision for something pretty important," mckenna rants.

"mckenna. just let it go please, it's not that big of a deal," peter dismisses.

mckenna's mood shifts from being understanding to being taken back. he never talks at her like that.

"i don't appreciate you speaking to me like that when all im trying to do is understand what is going on," she says, calm and collected.

"you wouldn't understand what's going on," he says frustrated.

"and why not?" she asks.

"because you wouldn't mckenna. you've barley had a life from being locked in hydra to being an avengers puppy!" peter exclaims.

he didn't mean to yell. he knows it was wrong and he regrets it once it leaves his mouth.

mckenna's heart feels like someone had just ripped it into pieces. he's never ever yelled at her like that. they rarely argue in the first place.

"you're right. how would i understand? i am just a little test subject aren't i? just someone's personal lab rat. i have to go peter," she says, standing up and holding herself together, trying not to fall apart right there.

"mckenna i didn't mean it," peter says, grabbing mckenna's hand to stop her from walking away, "please don't leave."

"i'm not walking away," she says, taking a deep breath, "i just need a minute."

he lets go of her wrist, and she walks away.

peter kicks the bag of gummy worms that they both loved. he messed up big time, but he knows how to fix it.

★・・・・・・★

💌

OH MY GOD

<3
mads