CHAPTER TWO - Rough Welcome

CHAPTER TWO 

Lisa got out of her car, grabbing the bags of food for her mom as she walked up to the house of the local orphanage. Lisa's mother being a local restaurant owner, made it her business to provide all her leftover food items to the orphanage monthly. Usually, she did it alone, but since Lisa was free, she brought Lisa to help her, which she didn't mind at all.

Lisa waited behind her mom as she knocked at the front door of the orphanage. It didn't take long for the owner Mrs. Park to come open the door.

"Mrs. Cindy Manoban. Come on in. Do you need me to help you with some bags?" The woman welcomed her mom with a welcoming smile.

"Not today. My daughter is doing the heavy lifting." Her mom answered, as they both stepped inside the big house.

"Hi. I'm Mrs. Park." The older woman greeted her with a similar smile to the one she gave her mother.

"Hello. I'm Lisa." She replied and sent her a smile back. "Where should I put these for you?" Lisa lifted the large bags.

"The kitchen is that way. Go set them there while I talk to Mrs. Park about the Christmas plans for the kids." Her mother told her.

Lisa walked in the direction her mother instructed her to go, the old floors creaking as she walked.

She looked around, the wallpapers were peeling off the walls and the dip in the ceilings told her that the house had some serious foundation issues. Although the house was a nice size, it was dated, and it needed a lot of work.

The closer she got to the kitchen, the more the smell of savory seasonings took over her nose.

Strolling inside the kitchen, she came to a stop, her brows knitting together as she stared at the familiar physique crouched over the cooktop.

"Jennie Kim?" She called out, unsure if her eyes were deceiving her or not.

The body came to a spot, gradually turning around in her directions. When those almond-shaped brown eyes met hers, the corners of her lips lifted.

"It is you." Lisa mumbled, eyeing Jennie as she stood before her, a shocked expression gracing her face.

"Lal.. Lalisa?" Jennie mumbled out. "Since when did you get back in town?" She turned the stove off, her full attention moving over to Lisa.

"A few weeks ago." Lisa replied as she sat the bags full of groceries on the countertop.

"Last I heard, you were turning the housing industry upside down in Las Vegas. Achieving all your dreams you set out to accomplish."

"Yeah, you remember my ultimate dream is to be the owner of the best home building company. In Vegas, sales are thriving, so I decided it was the perfect time to expand the company, starting here in the place I grew up."