Chapter 15

The dim light of the evening cast a soft glow in Lyra's room as she sat on the window seat, engrossed in the pages of "One True King." The book held her in its enchanting grasp, weaving a tale of intrigue, betrayal, and unexpected twists. Her fingers delicately turned the pages, unraveling the mysteries of Rafal's past.

As she reached the revelation about Rafal's children with Evelyn Safer, the door creaked open. In a surge of frustration and anger, Lyra threw the book against the wall, its pages rustling like a silent rebellion against the narrative it held.

"He always was a lying scumbag," she thought bitterly, the words echoing in her mind. "I don't know why I ever thought he would change or care for someone that wasn't himself."

Just as the echoes of her internal tirade lingered in the air, the door creaked open once again. Startled, Lyra hastily hid the book behind a decorative cushion, her expression hardening. Marvolo Slytherin, with a furrowed brow and a determined expression, entered the room.

"Lyra, we need to talk," Marvolo said, his eyes narrowing as he noticed the book hastily concealed. Lyra's attempt to hide it had not gone unnoticed.

Lyra, her frustration mounting, shot him a glare. "What is there to talk about? You've made your intentions quite clear. I have nothing more to say to you."

"I see," he said, his tone measured. "Lyra, I need you to understand that what happened with Bellatrix—"

Lyra cut him off, her patience wearing thin. "I don't want to hear it, Marvolo. After all, this is only a peace treaty, a marriage by paper. I shouldn't expect anything from you."

Marvolo's gaze darkened, the gravity of the situation settling in. "Lyra, it's not just a peace treaty, and it's certainly not just a marriage by paper. You mean more to me than you realize."

Lyra scoffed, bitterness lacing her words. "Save the sweet talk for someone who believes it. You can't change who you are, Marvolo, no matter how much you pretend."

Marvolo took a step closer, his expression earnest. "I'm not pretending, Lyra. I know we have a complicated past, and I understand your doubts, but I am willing to make this work. For both our sakes."

Lyra, however, remained unyielding. "For our sakes? You've spent your entire life pursuing power and control. I'm just a piece in your game, a move on your chessboard."

Marvolo's frustration simmered beneath his composed exterior. "That's not true, Lyra. I care about you. I want to protect you."

Lyra's laughter was hollow, devoid of any amusement. "Protect me? From what? Yourself? I've seen enough to know what you're capable of."

The room hung in tense silence, the weight of their words filling the air. Marvolo's gaze, once earnest, now carried a hint of desperation. He reached out, attempting to touch her shoulder, but Lyra stepped back, avoiding his touch. 

"Don't," she said coldly. "You can't erase the past, Marvolo. I won't be another casualty in your quest for power."

Marvolo clenched his jaw, a storm of emotions brewing within him. "Lyra, please, just let me explain. I never intended for any of this—"

But Lyra, fueled by a mixture of anger and hurt, refused to hear him out. "I don't need your explanations. I've seen enough."

Their eyes locked in a silent battle, neither willing to concede. Marvolo, a man accustomed to control, found himself at a loss, facing a woman who defied his expectations at every turn.

Marvolo sighed, realizing the gravity of the situation. "Lyra, you're misunderstanding. Bellatrix was upset about our engagement, and I was trying to ensure she treats you with respect. Nothing more."