Chapter 21

The garden of Slytherin Manor stretched out before Lyra, a labyrinth of greenery and hidden corners. The moon hung in the night sky, casting an ethereal glow upon the landscape. As she strolled along the winding path, lost in thought, the soft sound of footsteps approached from behind.

Marvolo, his figure silhouetted against the moonlight, caught up with her. "Mind if I join you?" he asked, his voice a low, resonant rumble.

Lyra, without glancing back, replied, "It's a free garden."

Silence lingered for a moment as they walked side by side, the only sounds the rustle of leaves beneath their feet and the distant hooting of an owl.

Marvolo broke the silence. "You've been avoiding me, Lyra."

She sighed, her gaze fixed on the distant horizon. "You can't expect everything to be forgotten overnight."

He took a step closer, his gaze earnest. "I know. I just want to be here for you."

They walked in silence again, the rhythmic sound of their footsteps echoing in the quiet night. The moonlit garden held a certain enchantment, and for a moment, the weight of their world seemed to lift.

Lyra, never one who liked silence, suddenly spoke up. "You know, I was thinking... we could use some garden gnomes. It would really brighten the place up, don't you think?"

Marvolo arched an eyebrow, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "Garden gnomes, Lyra? Really?"

She grinned, her eyes twinkling with mischief and a soft laugh escaped her lips "Why not? Every respectable garden should have a few mischievous gnomes running about. Adds character."

"Alright, maybe a gnome or two wouldn't hurt," he conceded, a smile playing on her lips.

Lyra feigned shock. "Marvolo Slyhterin, agreeing to garden gnomes? The world must be ending."

Marvolo chuckled, the sound resonating through the quiet garden. "Perhaps it is, Lyra. Or perhaps I'm learning to appreciate the finer things in life."

Lyra nudged him playfully. "Don't get too sentimental on me now, Marvolo. We wouldn't want your followers to start questioning you."

He raised an eyebrow, a mock serious expression on his face. "Ah, yes, because the key to loyalty lies in one's stance on garden gnomes."

They shared a laugh, the tension from before dissipating into the night air. The moon hung low, casting elongated shadows as they continued their stroll through the garden.

Lyra, always one to find joy in the small things, gestured towards a particularly vibrant cluster of flowers. "Look at these, Marvolo. Do you know the magical properties of Moonlit Roses?"

He glanced at the flowers, genuinely curious. "I can't say I'm well-versed in floral magic. Enlighten me."

"Well," she began, adopting a professorial tone, "Moonlit Roses are known for enhancing emotional well-being and promoting feelings of serenity. Perfect for a garden walk under the moonlight, don't you think?"

Marvolo smirked. "Are you trying to tell me something, Lyra? Perhaps that I need more Moonlit Roses in my life?"

She nudged him again. "Perhaps. Or maybe you just need more garden walks. It's therapeutic, you know."

As they bantered and shared laughter, the distance between them seemed to shrink. The weight of their shared history and the complexities of their intertwined destinies momentarily faded into the background.

However, as they rounded a bend in the garden, the conversation shifted, and Marvolo's gaze turned more serious. "Lyra, I need you to understand something. I'm not expecting you to forget the past, and I'm certainly not asking for your trust blindly. But I am asking for a chance."