Chapter 27

Later that evening, Lyra found herself indulging in a spirited revelry a bit too fervently. Firewhiskey flowed like water, and in her exuberance, she managed to consume more than her fair share. In her inebriated state, Lyra, with a wobbly grace, stumbled into Marvolo's study. The door creaked open, revealing the dimly lit room adorned with ancient artifacts and ornate furniture. 

Marvolo, engrossed in reviewing parchments till he heard the unmistakable sound of unsteady footsteps approaching. He glanced up just in time to witness the unsteady entrance of Lyra, a mischievous grin plastered across her face.

Marvolo's brows furrowed in concern as he observed the two nearly empty bottles clutched in her hands. "Lyra, how much have you had to drink?"

She giggled, swaying slightly, "Not much, just three bottles. Or maybe four. I lost count."

Concern etched across his features, Marvolo moved swiftly toward her, fearing she might topple over at any moment. "Four bottles? Lyra, that's enough to knock out a dragon. Give me those."

In an attempt to confiscate the bottles, Marvolo reached for them, but Lyra, in her drunken agility, skillfully pulled him into an impromptu dance. The room spun as she twirled them around, her laughter ringing through the air.

"Lyra, this is not the time for dancing. You're clearly not in any condition for it," Marvolo insisted, his tone a mix of concern and amusement.

But Lyra, undeterred, continued her tipsy waltz. Just as Marvolo attempted to regain control,Lyra mischievously stuck out her leg, causing Marvolo to trip and fall. She chuckled, collapsing beside him. "Is that a new dance move?"

Marvolo sighed, realizing the futility of trying to understand her logic. "Lyra, you're lucky I love you. Anyone else would be dead right now."

Upon hearing the words, Lyra's laughter turned into tears. She lightly hit Marvolo's chest, confessing, "Marvolo, I... I love you so much. When you died, I was a wreck. I didn't know what to do. I just sat around, cried over your photos, wore your jacket, and did nothing for weeks. I missed you so much."

Marvolo, taken aback by this revelation, felt a tender warmth in his chest. He hadn't expected her grief to be so profound, and he was touched by the depth of her emotions. Before he could respond, Lyra, ever unpredictable, found a reason to be happy again. "But you know what? You're so handsome when you're worried."

With a sly smile, she leaped to her feet and, in an explosive burst of magic, created dazzling fireworks that illuminated the room. Unfortunately, one of those fireworks veered off course and collided with a very expensive and antique vase on a nearby table, shattering it into pieces.

Marvolo, not wanting Lyra to wreak further havoc, swiftly scooped her up into his arms. "Lyra, I think it's time to call it a night before you turn the entire manor into a magical disaster zone."

As he carried her out of the room, Lyra, with an oddly bold demeanor, attempted to unbutton his shirt. "Lyra, stop that," Marvolo admonished, bewildered by her sudden audacity.

"You're cute when you're flustered, Marvolo," she giggled.

"Stop that!" Marvolo chuckled, a rare display of amusement, as he carried her out of the study.

As they made their way through the manor, Lyra suddenly wriggled out of his arms and dashed to the kitchen. Marvolo, perplexed, followed her, only to find her enthusiastically devouring a cake.

 "Lyra, you'll make yourself sick," he warned, attempting to pry the cake away from her.

But Lyra, with cake crumbs clinging to her face, retaliated by shoving his face into the cake. Laughing uproariously, she scampered away, heading for another bottle of firewhiskey.