'Relax, Doc' Part II

Part II y'all, 2.3k words

TW: Just minor swearing

This chapter is where things start to pick up, I hope you enjoy :)

-K.C.

Monday, October 17th, 2016

The morning of her in-person observation, Y/N slept in, waking up with a slight headache. She spent more time than usual deciding what to wear, then realized she was taking longer than usual, and cringed. Why did she care how Spencer thought she looked? She certainly shouldn't. He was a professor for god's sake, and far out of her league. She didn't need to be putting extra effort in just for him to not notice...Whatever. She settled on a large dark green sweater and black slacks to match her black boots. Professional enough. She was technically on the job, after all.

She checked her watch. Spencer's first class started at 11 am, so she'd aim to be there by 10:45-50 so she could quiz him. She thought of him struggling on the desktop the other day and smiled to herself. That had been entertaining. And endearing.

Isa and Y/N's apartment building was immediately next to campus, so Y/N grabbed her bag and slipped on a light jacket before she set out on foot, slowly inhaling the crisp fall air. She stopped at the coffee shop for a few minutes, buying two cups. She poured extra sugar into one and sipped the unsweetened coffee for herself as she walked to the Humanities and Social Science building, where Spencer's first lecture was located.

She climbed the stairs and turned the corner. She was running a few minutes behind her ideal plan. This looked like the right room. She precariously juggled the two coffees in one arm while reaching for the doorknob with another, slowly creaking the door open and walking inside.

"Doc?" She called out.

"Y/N?" Spencer looked up from the desk in the corner of the room, wearing a dark blue button-down and gray pants. His eyes lit up when he saw her.

"Hey." She gave him a little wave before relieving her other arm of both coffee cups.

He set down his large stack of papers. "I like your sweater."

Her brain glitched. "I like your face-I mean- I like your coffee-I MEAN- I brought you some coffee." Y/N stammered, holding a cup out to him.

He smiled, seemingly oblivious to her nervousness. "Oh, you know you didn't have to-"

She pulled her arm back. "Do you want coffee or not?"

"I want it. Desperately."

Y/N snorted, handing him a cup.

"You're a lifesaver." He said, blowing gently before putting his lips to the cup. "This class is so early."

"...It's 11 in the morning."

"Yeah, 'morning'. It's really pushing it for me." Spencer took a sip and winced.

Y/N looked confused, and took a drink of the cup that was left in her hand. It was sickly sweet. "Dammit! I mixed them up, I'm so sorry-"

"It's okay, we can switch."

"Oh no but-but the germs and stuff?" Y/N looked down, embarrassed. "You're a germaphobe and nowI'veinfectedyoucauseyourmouthtouchedthesameplaceonthesamecupmymouthtouchedand-"