'Relax, Doc' Part VI

A.N: Part six, 2.3k words

TW: brief moment of swearing, allusions to Spencer's past/trauma but no real spoilers, deep/vulnerable convos?

Y/N rolled around in her bed, trying to get comfortable, but to no avail. Her mind was still racing with thoughts from the morning. Had that been a date? It couldn't have been, since neither of them had explicitly said it was, right? Who was she to know anyways? Date or not, she'd had a really good time. She'd come to find out that spending time with Spencer was never boring, no matter the activity.

She hoped he'd enjoyed himself as well. Maybe she should ask? The idea tickled her brain, and she rolled over once more to grab her cell phone from her nightstand and shoot Spencer a quick text.

Spencer had a contact photo now, it was a funny perspective of his face zoomed in and from overhead, with his chunky glasses on. She'd screenshotted it during one of their Facetime calls, much to his protest. She grinned as she spotted the photo in his tiny icon above the message thread.

*Hey, I suppose I told you I had fun, but I must've forgotten to say 'thank you' for today, so I'll say that now. Thanks. I hope you had as much fun as I did:)*

She read it over a couple times and pressed send. No spelling errors, no spontaneous professions of love, she was totally in the clear.

Until she glanced up at the top of her screen and read "3:02 AM".

"Shit." She mumbled. How could she have been this stupid? Not checking the time? He was going to wake up in the morning and think she was crazy for texting him at such an ungodly hour-

Her phone started buzzing. "Shit!" Spencer's name lit up her screen, and Y/N nearly jumped out of her pajamas. She answered the call. "Spencer, I'm so-"

"Are you okay?" Spencer's voice was anxious.

"Wha- yeah?"

"You're safe, nothing's wrong?"

Y/N blinked. "I-"

"Is something wrong, Y/N?" Spencer insisted.

"No, nono-I'm fine, I just sent you a text and I didn'tcheckthetime-"

She heard a loud sigh of relief on the other end. "Oh thank god."

"Spencer I'm sorry, did I do something wrong?"

"No, you're okay." Spencer sighed again. "I just saw that you texted me and at this hour I was worried something bad was happening."

"Oh..." Y/N pulled the blankets tighter around herself. "I'm really sorry, I should've waited till morning-"

"And I should have actually read your text, it's okay." His voice was much calmer now. "What are you doing up?"

"I could ask you the same question."

He chuckled. "I'm not the best sleeper."

"Hey, me neither."

Spencer exhaled slowly on the other end. "Again, I'm sorry if I scared you. In my line of work, getting a notification at this time of night usually isn't anything good. I called out of habit."

Y/N swallowed. "What would have happened if I hadn't answered?"

Spencer was quiet for a beat. "You want the truth?"