'Relax, Doc' Part V

A.N: Part five, 2.7k words y'all.

TW: Not really spoilers? But like, focus on $cars from some of Spencer's bull3t injuries, one of which is season 4/5 and the other in 9/10? Idk, so yes-talks about them, but no plot spoilers for the show or anything

Monday, October 24th

Y/N's fingertips anxiously tapped against the small tabletop in the crowded coffee shop. The battered-looking clock on the far rear wall read 9:59 am.

She'd shown up seven minutes early and had been waiting now for six, was that desperate? Why was she so worried? She took a deep breath, the smell of coffee grounds filling her nose. She needed to calm down.

Y/N stopped tapping the table, pulling her hands into the sleeves of her royal purple sweater. As she gazed out the window at the chilly October weather, she found her thoughts spiraling once again. Did this invitation count as a date? What about the whole 'friends' conversation they'd had in his apartment? They were friends, yes, and of course she saw him as a friend, but she also saw him as someone she could date.

Someone she'd like to date.

Someone she really wanted to date.

Oh god.

They'd spent both Saturday and Sunday evening on the phone together for hours. She was surprised by the amount of free time he seemed to have to talk to her. Last night had entailed a lengthy debate between Bob Dylan and The Beach Boys, with Spencer adamantly opposing evaluating music based on 'vibe'. Maybe today they could-

Ohmygodthereheisohmygod

Spencer's silhouette appeared in Y/N's view from the window for a split second before the bell on the door rang as he strode inside. He wore a black sweater vest over a white button-down shirt with a navy blue tie. His brown overcoat matched his messenger bag which swung to the other side as he whipped his head around to scan the shop.

"Spencer!" Y/N raised her hand with a slight wave. He grinned as he spotted her.

"Y/N!" He plopped down in the chair across from her at the little table. He was right on time.

"You seem chipper this morning." Y/N joked

"It's a good morning." Spencer's eyes flicked to her clothes. "I like your sweater."

She blushed. "Thanks."

"Purple's my favorite color, actually."

"Really?" S c o r e.

"Yeah, it is." Spencer shrugged off his overcoat and hung his bag over the side of his chair. "Oh, take a look at this leaf."

"Hm?"

"I wanted to be early, but I spent a couple minutes of my walk looking for the best leaf, the one with the prettiest fall color." He produced a large deep orange maple leaf that he'd tucked away under his coat. "Acer saccharum, Sugar Maple. It's for you."

Y/N blinked in surprise. "For me?"

"Of course. You know, you'd be a better judge of the best leaf of fall since women can identify greater color variation."

"Really?"

"In general, yes." Spencer explained. "Not to mention men are far more likely to be colorblind, and women are more likely to have tetrachromacy."

"Is that where you can see more colors?" Y/N raised an eyebrow, intrigued.

"Yep, tetrachromacy involves having four color perception channels instead of three. You know, some researchers estimate almost 12% of women could have tetrachromacy and never know it." Spencer paused, aware of his rambling. "Should we order?"