'Relax, Doc' Part VII

A.N.: Part seven, 2.1k words y'all, and this mini-series is slowly coming to a close, only two more parts and then I'll be shifting gears for some different oneshots :)

TW: Nothing really? Spencer actually teaches his class for a couple seconds so, short mention of some disturbing topics that are heavily covered in CM so like... y'all are good?

Wednesday, October 26th

*All the leaves are almost gone.*

Y/N sent that message with a picture of a nearly-bare tree, her current view as she sat on the far end of a library study room, near the window.

"Now, if we were to analyze this piece from the lens of a..." A member of the study group droned on and on. Even as a Master's student in English Literature, Y/N found herself yawning. This dude was destined to put college freshmen to sleep for a millennia.

Her thoughts wandered as she stared out the window. She could've been in Spencer's Criminal Psychology course right now, instead of listening to this. She almost wished her observation requirements were heavier, so she could've sat in on some more lectures without suspicion from Isa.

She'd been sitting here for almost an hour, and was beginning to lose some feeling in her legs. She blinked, shaking her head, trying to disperse the cloud of brain-fog surrounding her and at least look like she was paying attention.

Her phone buzzed. A response from Spencer?

*:(*

She snorted loudly. Her study group turned their heads to stare at her. "Sorry, my brain's wandering..." She gave a lame excuse, trailing off into silence at the end.

A frowny-face? Spencer had sent an emoticon?? The idea itself was hilarious to her. Y/N hid her phone under the table, shooting a reply.

*Woah Doc, aren't you supposed to be teaching a class right now?*

The three gray dots to indicate he was typing popped up on her screen. Really, what was he doing? His lecture wasn't out for another 15 minutes.

*They're watching a video, I've got a couple minutes.*

*Dr. Reid played a video for his class??? Blasphemy!*

*Hey, I may have gotten I.T. to pull up most of it, but I did in fact press 'play'.*

*How daring*

*I'm proud of you, Doc*

*You know, it was a certain course evaluator that reminded me to do some research, which helped me to acknowledge the importance of varied materials in student curriculum.*

*And to think, I thought your brain was too stuffed with smarts to learn anything new*

*You flatter me.*

Y/N resisted the compelling urge to respond with something like 'Perhaps'. In her hesitation, Spencer sent another text.

*Video ending, bye.*