Chapter 6

Arthur Almendras

As I was walking through the bustling mall, I noticed a young boy looking around. The boy wanders around until an older woman approach him. Nervousness and worry envelopes me making me move and walk towards them. They didn't feel my presence since they're engrossed in their own conversations.

"Excuse me, are you his grandmother?" I politely asked.

The older woman looked at me and smiled. "No, I'm not. How about you, are you his father?" the woman asked as she exchanges look between me and the young boy beside me.

"I don't have the plan to conceive a new life that will surely destroy mine," I replied making the womans eyes widen in surprise.

"No, no. You're wrong. The best gift you could ever receive is a human life. Having a baby is the best since you know that you have fulfilled your role in this world. You should be proud if you have a son like him. A lot of men out there are having a hard time to have one," says the woman making me nod.

"I don't have a plan to have a child. Maybe later but definitely not today," I replied that made the woman smile. She approached the young boy and touched his head.

"You finally found your father," says the woman but the boy just stared at her. I can see confusion in his eyes as he stares at her.

"He isn't mine," I said making the woman look at me.

She just stared at me and back to the boy. "You look alike. You can't deny him," says the woman.

I just shake my head in response. "Okay, I'll leave him to you," says the woman before she tapped the childs head and turned to leave. Once the woman is out of sight, I looked down at the young boy beside me. I scanned his face.

It wasn't until a closer look that I realized that the young boy has similarity with me. There was a sense of recognition in my eyes as I stared at the young boy standing next to me.

Without even thinking, I kneeled down. The young boy merely watch my every move. "Why are you wandering the mall all alone?" I asked that made the boy shake his head.

"Mama nowhere. Want to buy toys but lost," replies the boy.

"I see. How old are you?" I asked once again as I wanted to calm him. I can see a mixture of nervousness, sadness and fear in his eyes.

The young boy held up his hand showing me three fingers. "So you're three," I said as I nodded. How did they allow this three year old boy walk around the mall alone. How did they even lost him. Not unless his parents are a combination of irresponsible parent.

I stand up and looked down at the young boy before looking around. "Hey, been looking for you and oh -"

I raised an eyebrow as my friend Khalil Sanbeda stopped from talking after his eyes landed on the boy standing beside me. I followed his gaze. "He is lost," I said once I diverted my eyes towards Khalil. Khalil stared back at me with raised eyebrow before staring back at the young boy.

"Seriously? This young boy is lost?" he asked as he points at the boy. I responded with a nod.

"He is."

"Nah no man, you look alike. Are you sure, you're not the father?" he asked making me glare at him.

"You know me Khal. If I have a child, you're the first one to know," I replied making him laugh.

"Fine, Fine," he said. "Why don't we give him to the security and -"

Khalil wasn't able to continue with what he is about to say because someone shouted from behind us. It was too late for us to face the person who shouted because she is already kneeling down infront of the young boy.