Chapter 7

Arthur Almendras

My eyes scanned the files that has been sent to me by the investigator I hired to investigate about Isabelle and his son. Two weeks after I bumped into Isabelle again at the mall triggers my interest to learn more about them and everything that had happened to them for the past years.

I had spent the past several days tirelessly investigating and gathering evidence to prove that Ethan was indeed my son. I even hired private investigators, consulted experts, and combed through old records and documents just to get exact and clear result. Finally, I had the conclusive evidence in my hands, evidence that will surely change everything.

I couldn't contain the mixture of feelings that's enveloping my whole being. Nervousness, excitement, sadness, and curiosity washed over me as the result of the investigation sinks in. 

My heart skipped a beat as I quickly scanned through the documents once again. My hands trembled with a mixture of excitement and disbelief as the thought of having a son crosses my mind. 

Tears welled up in my eyes as the weight of the truth hits me. "How did she even hide this thing to me?" I whispered to myself.
Having all the evidences with me, I know that I can confidently confront Isabelle with the matter.

I glanced at my wrist watch. It's already past five and is time to pack up. I need to go to Isabelle's place to have a talk with her.
As I'm fixing the files on my desk, the door swung open, revealing Khalil. I heaved a sigh and leaned on my swivel chair as I watch Khalil walk towards me wearing his usual smug smirk. "What are you doing here at this moment? It's already time to go home," I asked as he sits on the chair infront of me.

"I thought you'll be having another draining day," he replied as he smirks.

"Get straight to the point."

Khalil nodded. "Liam told me about the result of his investigation. Congrats man. You're now a certified father," he said, mentioning the investigators name. He is also a friend of us making it more easy for the results to come out. Through his help, I'm able to connect things despite being absent for four years in Isabelle's life.

"Thank you but my son doesn't know that I'm his father."

"That's fine. As long as you introduce yourself to him and talk to his mother, he'll surely recognize you as his father."

"What if Isabelle won't allow me to be part of our son's life? We don't know what is running on her head " I said. I know that Isabelle will surely not allow me to have my son by my side.

"Try to talk to her. She'll do what's good for her son. For now, Isabelle's life depends on her son," Khalil replied. His words hit a certain point that I can use to convince Isabelle to let me have my son.

"Man, you're right. I'll see what I can do and if she will still deny the truth, then, I'll show her all the result of the investigation," I responded making Khalil nod his head.

"Yeah. Yeah. Goodluck then," Khalil replied making me nod before continuing with fixing my desk.

"Did Liam tell you that someone is kind of making a move on Isabelle. I mean, he is quite close with your son," says Khalil out of the blue. I look at him and he is now throwing a teasing smile on me.

"I don't care if someone wants to make a move on her. I only want to be recognized by my son as his father. Any man can own Isabelle and I really don't care," I replied making Khalil nod teasingly.

"Really huh? Let's see. Let's see if that will still be your stand after, you know, seeing her again and talking to her again. Remember, you'll be co-parenting."

"Mark my words, I will never give any damn attention to her. Okay?"  I responded but a part of me wants to take those words back since I do care about Isabelle's affairs.

"Watch your word," Khalil simply replied making me glare at him.
Khalil just stayed on his seat until we headed out of the office and the company building.

"I'm just one call away once Isabelle doesn't give you a chance to be a father to your son," says Khalil as I entered my car.

"I'm telling you Khal, whether Isabelle wants it or not, I'll take my son with me."

"Nah, nah. Don't tell me that you're planning to force Isabelle to -"

"Shut up and leave. I'll be heading to their place," I interrupted making Khalil quiet but still wearing his usual smug smirk. Without even saying goodbye, I started the engine and immediately drives off the busy street to Isabelle's place.

I know where they are living since I asked Liam to investigate everything about her and my son.

It took me almost half an hour to reach the front of Isabelle's house. The guard immediately opened the gate once he heard a honk from my car. "Is Isabelle expecting you?" asked the guard.

"Yes, she is," I coldly replied making the guard nod. He then let me inside the house premises and went to close the gate. I find a space for my car to park. Once everything is settled, I climbed out of the car and headed to the main door.

I heaved a deep sigh. A part of me is not yet ready to face my son. Mixture of longing, sadness, excitement and nervousness engulfed me. As soon as I pressed the door bell, I felt a pang of guilt.

***Marcela_Francisca***