Chapter 12

Arthur Almendras

I can hear Isabelle's footsteps following me. I immediately sit on the couch once we are at the living room. I sat on the edge of the couch, my heart pounding with a mix of anxiety and anger. I don't know why I feel this kind of emotions. It had been a long day at work, and I had been looking forward to spending an evening with my son and his mother, trying to mend our strained relationship. Yes, I want to have my family back again in my life. I want to claim what is rightfully mine. However, as the hours ticked by, my excitement turned into frustration as Isabelle failed to show up early and answer my calls.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, I heard the gate of the house open. Through the window, I can clearly see who enters the house premises and my blood rises up my head as I saw Isabelle sitting at Lander's car. 

I heaved a deep sigh and look up at Isabelle who is standing infront of me. "Isabelle, where have you been? I've been trying to reach you all evening but you never answered even one of my hundred calls?" I asked, my voice laced with a little bit of irritation.

Isabelle's face flushed with guilt, looked down and hesitantly met my gaze. She rummaged on her handbag and took her cellphone out. She bit her lower lip as she tries to open her phone. "I - my phone is dead. Well - I - I got caught up with something... someone," she stuttered making me shake my head. I wanted to shout at her but I know that I don't still have the right to do that to her. And, a part of me is stopping me to do it.

My anger flared but I was able to control it. "Caught up with someone? Who, Lander?" I sarcastically asked.

"Yes," she immediately responded.

My anger turned into jealousy. I felt a knot tighten in my chest as I struggled to process Isabelle's confession. After our divorce and the years that had passed by, I had held onto a small glimmer of hope that we could reconcile for our son but this revelation shattered that illusion. Knowing that Isabelle is meeting another man means that I can't have her and my son.

'You've promised yourself that you won't do anything with her?"
I shaked my head. Yeah, that was before I realized that Isabelle and Ethan are the present that I should never let go for the second time.

"Are you dating?" I asked. I want to know where I'm standing. I need to know it early before I try to fight for what I think is mine.

Isabelle meets my gaze. "We are not. We are just friends," she replied. I tried to find anything in her eyes that will tell me that she is lying but I wasn't successful to see anything. A part of me wants to celebrate because of that.

"Ethan is already sleeping," I said, trying to divert our conversation.

"You're the one who put him to sleep?"

I nodded my head in response. Ethan and I spent the whole afternoon playing. Ethan is too tired because of that. Once he is done eating his meal for dinner, he immediately asked me to put him to bed. I just read a short story for him.

"Can we have a talk?" I asked.

"Okay. Let me just change my clothes," she replied making me nod.

I waited for her to change. As I was waiting, I headed to the kitchen to make coffee for the both of us. Once I'm done, I returned back to the living room. I'm about to sip my coffee when Isabelle finally arrive.

"Coffee."

"Thank you," she responded as she takes a seat at the vacant couch.

"What do you want to talk about?"

I stared at her intently. "About us. Me, you and Ethan," I responded.

"What a-about us?" she asked as she take the cup of coffee and sips from it. I can say that she's nervous.

"I've been thinking this since the day I learned that Ethan is my son."

"W-what do you have in mind?"

"What if we work towards something. What if we try to fix everything about us to give Ethan a complete family."

She just stared at me. I can't see any emotion in her eyes. "Do you think fixing things between us can give Ethan happiness and contentment?"

"I- I don't know. But, we can try, right?"

Isabelle let out a small smile. A smile that didn't reach her ears. "The truth is, I also want to give Ethan a complete family. You, me and him. But -"

"But what? Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"But I guess, it's still not time for us to be together," she responded. I looked at her, feeling a mix of disappointment and sadness. I know her reason for that. She loved me once, and a part of her still couldn't ignore the pain I had caused.

"Isabelle, I understand that we had our own issues, but we need to be together to give Ethan what he exactly needs."

Isabelle took a deep breath, her voice calm but filled with resolve. "Arthur, I need time to process this. We have a chance to rebuild our relationship, but right now, I need space and time to figure out what's next and right thing to do."

I stared at Isabelle, my heart heavy with disappointment. I couldn't deny the pain that consumed me, but I knew that I needed to accept whatever her decision is. I know that I'm the one who let all of this to happen. The only thing that I can do for now is to get my son and Isabelle's full trust.

"By the way, what will happen to Diane if - if - if -"

I immediately cut off Isabelle. I know what she wants to say. Since I wanted to earn her trust again, I need to tell her the truth. I stared at her intently before heaving a deep sigh. "Diane and I separated after a year of being together. Call me stupid but, yes, I'm fooled by a woman for two times," I said.

Isabelle just stared at me like she's giving me a chance to speak and tell her the whole story. "I caught her having a good time with another man in her place. But, before that, I discovered her real intention on why she came back to my life. She wants me to be responsible to her," I added making her nod.

"Well, you love her."

A sad smile appeared on my lips. "I loved her," I corrected her. "Now, I finally learned my lesson," I added making her nod.

"I hope that those lessons will help you choose your happiness and make a good decision. You are smart enough to direct your life," she responded making me nod.

We stared at each other for I don't know how long before I broke it by telling her about my plan to introduce our son to my parents. "If Ethan is ready to meet them, why not," she responded.

"I'll try to talk to him. Can I ask for your help?"

She smiled. "Of course, I can," she replied. "For my son," she added.

I smiled as a response. I don't know how many times I've been smiling today and for the past days. But one thing is for sure, I'll do everything to save my relationship with Isabelle and our son.

***Marcela_Francisca***