Chapter 8

Isabelle Fernandina

I stood frozen in the doorway, my heart pounding in my chest, as I gazed upon the unexpected figure that stood before me. I was in the living room when I heard the bell rings. I decided to personally face the person that Roger, our guard, permitted to enter the house premises. It was Arthur, my former husband. My mind raced, trying to comprehend how he had found our home after all these years. It was an unexpected time to face each other in this place that became a sanctuary for me, my son and the people who became part of my life.

"A-Arthur. Wh-what are you do-doing here?" I finally managed to stammer, my voice laced in shock and confusion, after a long silence that filled the atmosphere.

Arthur's eyes were filled with a mix of surprise and curiosity as he took in a sight on me, his former flame, standing before him. "I'm surprised. I had no idea you were living here. Or should I say, how did you even manage to live in a place like this?" he said. I can hear sarcasm in his tone. He is just showing me how he underestimates me.

My heart sank as Arthur's words seeped into my mind. Despite the fact that this person is standing infront of me, underestimating my achievements, I can still find myself hating him. I had thought I had moved on from him, from our complicated past. But now, with him standing right in front of me, all the emotions came rushing back. I couldn't help but wonder what he was doing here, and why does he seemed so intent on showing up at this moment.

"Mommy, who is our visitor?" asks my son. I turned around to face my son who is running towards me. He stands on my side and holds my pinky finger using his small hand.

I look at Arthur who is now staring at Ethan. Ethan wave his hand that is free to Arthur. "Hello," he said while smiling at Arthur.

"Hello kid. How are you?" says Arthur than made my heart beat.

"Why are you here at this time? It's already getting late," I said trying to take his attention. I want him to divert his attention from Ethan towards me.

"I want to have a talk with you. I want to clear something," he replied, using his usual cold and commanding tone. I tried to calm myself down after hearing those words from him.

As if sensing my unease, Arthur’s eyes shifted towards the child standing timidly by my side. His confusion deepened as he studied the little boy, searching for answers. "I want to know if this child is willing to be with his father," he said.

My breath caught in my throat, my mind racing as I tried to make sense of the situation. I hadn't anticipated this conversation, this possibility. I am planning to tell Arthur the truth when the time is right but never expected to be now. Arthur had divorced me years ago, without any hesitatiom because of a woman he once love and now he was standing before me, questioning if the child wants to be with his father.

With a hint of sadness in my eyes, I took a deep breath and finally spoke, my voice filled with determination. "My son is already contented with what he has. He doesn't need a father to live especially when his father is now happy with his own life," I replied.

Arthur's eyes softened as he heard what I said. I saw regret and remorse flooded his eyes for a moment. "Your son needs a father who can support and give him everything he wanted," he replied making me shake my head in response.

"We already have everything Arthur," I responded. A part of my brain is telling me that Arthur already knew the truth about Ethan's identity. The next thing he said confirmed what I was thinking.

"My son could have everything in this world once he is with me," he responded with confidence. I meet his eyes and saw determination in it. "I will not leave this place until you tell him about me," he added.