Chapter 10

Arthur Almendras

I stopped in the house's doorway. I can feel the presence of Isabelle behind me. I can even feel her eyes on me but I just didn't mind it and focused on the two figures laughing and playing at the front yard. I watched as my son, Ethan, laughed and played with Lander who became a father figure to him. Basing from how comfortable my son is with him, I can say that the two have formed a fast bond over the past years and I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy as I observed their interactions. Lander, with his gentle smile and playful demeanor, seemed to effortlessly draw happiness and trust from my son.

As I fought against my jealous feelings, I reminded myself that I'm still the real father that needs to provide Ethan everything he needs. Lander is just Ethan's uncle, and I should be grateful that Ethan had someone else in his life who cared about him. But the unsettling emotions continued to bubble within me, filling my thoughts with doubt and insecurity.

Struggling to keep my emotions in check, I approached Lander and Ethan, plastering a smile on my face. "Hey guys, having fun?"

Ethan's face lit up as he turned towards me "Look, Daddy! daddy Lander is teaching me how to play volleyball. He bought a ball for me!" my son excitedly said as he walk towards me.

My heart sank at the words "Daddy" that my son used for the both of us in the same sentence. I swallowed my jealousy and forced myself to still wear a smile as I kneeled down to level with my son. I don't want my son to sense my unease, so I mustered up extra enthusiasm hoping to win back my son's attention. I know I'm being selfish but that's the only thing I know I can do for the moment.

"If you want to learn how to play volleyball, you can be with me and I'll teach you how. Your daddy Lander has lots of things to do," I softly said. A part of me regrets mentioning Lander's name.

"When daddy Lander will not be here again, I'll be with you daddy," Ethan replied that awakened the monster of jealousy clawed at my insides.

I smiled and taps his head. "I'll be leaving for now. I'll be back later," I said.

Ethan stared at me. "You said you will stay," he responded making me nod.

"I'm sorry, I just remembered that I have something to do first. Don't worry, I will be back as soon as I'm done," I replied making him nod.  I pulled him to my arms and tightly hugged him. I kissed him on his forehead before standing up.

I nodded towards Lander before heading towards my car. I give them one last glance before I drive off the street. As I'm driving, I reflected on the events a while ago, I couldn't shake off the jealousy that had consumed me.

After driving for I don't know how long, I finally parked my car infront of our house. I climbed off the car and entered the house. My mother was the first one who noticed my presence. "Where have you been son?" she asked as she approached me, holding a tray that has two cups of hot tea.

"Is that for dad?" I asked in return.

"Yes it is," she replied making me nod.

"Good. I wanted to have a talk with you and dad about something," I said making my mother stare at me with curiosity.

"O-okay. Come with me in the living room," she said.

I followed my mom to the living room. As we approached my father,  a mixture of nervousness and determination engulfed me. "Robert, our son wants to have a talk with us," says my mom as she put down the tray on the small table at the center.

My dad looked up from his book, sensing the seriousness in my mom's voice. "Oh, where have you been? Too early for you to leave."

"That's what I'm about to tell," I replied. My father motioned me to sit at the sofa just across him. My mother on the other hand sits on the empty space beside my father.

"Seems like this thing is important. Does this involve the company?" he asked making me shake my head.

"Then, what about it?" asks my mother.

I took a deep breath, trying to find the right words. "It's all about me," I simply replied.

"What about you?" my father asks.

"I just came from Isabelle's place," I started as I clenched my fist in nervousness.

My parents look at each other as if they're silently talking. "Look, I know that this would change not just my life but also yours," I continued making them divert their attention to me.

My mom tried to say something but nothing came out from his mouth. "Go straight to the point. And why did you go to Isabelle's place?" my father asks.

"After Isabelle and I met again, I discovered that we had - we have a child," I responded.

"What?" my mom asked in shock. Even my father is surprised to hear that news.

"Oh my gosh Arthur. You've let Isabelle leave with the unborn child! How is my grandson doing?" my mom finally said, breaking the silence that filled the atmosphere for a moment.

"She's fine mom. Isabelle is giving him everything he wanted. He is showered by love," I replied not wanting my mother to worry about my son.

"That's great to hear," she replied.

"How about Isabelle? How is she doing?" my father suddenly asked.

"She's fine dad."

"Good," he replied. "Did she allow you to visit your son or is she mad at you for showing up after four years?" he added.

"She doesn't have any choice but to tell our son the whole truth and allow me to be a father to my son who she hides from me for four years."

My dad nodded. "Isn't it your fault that she hides her pregnancy? The years that you missed to be a father to your son is all your fault. Don't let Isabelle take all the blame. It's you who needs to be blamed," my father said.

My mother cleared her throat as she feels the tension between me and my father. "You know what, it's better if you plan on how to give your son a good life. If giving him a good life involves reconciling with Isabelle, better do it," says my mother.

"I don't know mom. What I want right now is to be with my son. I don't care about his mother. She can do anything she wants," I replied. A part of me feels a pang of guilt and jealousy as I imagine Isabelle being with other man.

"That depends on the both of you. If you want to give your son a whole complete family and the love he deserves, you'll take his mother back to your life. But if you think that being together with Isabelle will not give good effect to your son, then it's better if you let them build a life without you," says my mother.

I'm not able to sa anything as my mother's words sinks in. Her words hits a point. "We will give you time to think about it son. If you can make good decision for the business you are running, there is no doubt that you can also make a good decision for yourself. We will just wait for the time that you'll introduce us to your son," says my father. That's the only time that I hear my father give compliment after four years.

I just nodded in response, pondering what to do next. A part of me wants to reconcile with my son and his mother but my mind keeps on reminding me that I don't have any feelings for her.

'Really? You don't have any feelings for her? Then why do you feel jealous when Lander suddenly showed up?' asks a part of my brain.

I shake my head and heaved a sigh. This shouldn't be the thing that I'll have in mind. I should think of my son alone.

***Marcela_Francisca***