And Maybe That's Okay (5)

(More Spicy Stuff + •TW•)

My heart was pounding in my chest as I ran through the woods. The cold air was stabbing at my skin, burning in my lungs. Branches from the trees kept catching on my clothes, tearing through them and cutting into my flesh, blood glistening in the moonlight.

But I ignored it. Something about the look in Deimos's eyes. He's a predator, through and through. He had me right there in his arms and he allowed me to run free.

I don't know if that was just him being stupid, cocky or, something much worse- I needed to be far more afraid.

Despite the fear induced adrenaline coursing through me, I found myself sickeningly excited. A smile spread across my face as laughter bubbled in my chest, my feet sinking into the snow as I ran, ignoring the pain in my ankle.

Something about his confidence, as if he just knew he could catch me, left me reeling. It knocked the air from my lungs and caused my blood to run cold, putting the snow around me to shame.

In the distance, I could hear him whistling a gentle toon, seeming completely unfazed. No sense of urgency muddled his demeanor as he continued walking leisurely, straight into the tree-line, his hands tucked casually into his pockets.

But I didn't have time to be bothered with paying any mind to him. I have to focus on getting away. Him seeming so self-assured just proves I need to really try. He didn't seem to doubt that he could catch me, so I needed to remove the doubt telling me I wouldn't be able to get away.

I stumbled my way through the snow, my body trembling. With everything he told me about his past, a part of me sincerely doubts I'll actually be able to. Which made me question if the tremble through my body was actually from the cold, the fear, or the sick excitement buzzing under my skin.

The sun had already set by this point, we had been talking all day. It was getting colder, faster, I have to hurry.

Deimos couldn't be too far behind me, though if I looked back, the light from the house was completely out of sight, darkness casting shadows over everything. I had ran a good distance so far, but he had to be aware of which way I went, not having time to hide my trail of footsteps.

My lungs burned as I pushed my legs, my body still sore from last night. I forced my way through the pain, tripping on my hurt ankle every now and then, the wrapping having come undone and lost in the wind. The adrenaline clouded out the pain as I kept running, moving my body as fast as I could, feeling my body tingle.

I paused for a moment, my heavy breath coming out in white puffs as I looked around myself, trying to see if I could spot him in the dark. Not being able to, I acted on instinct, climbing up a tree, giving myself time to catch my breath and properly look for him. I only ended up holding my breath as I heard branches from beneath me snap, Deimos stopping at the edge of my tracks and glancing up into the tree, looking for me.

"Oh come now. Don't tell me you really resorted to climbing up a tree? How the hell were you ever able to get away from Dave in the first place? Let alone Callin. It's pathetic, really. Sweetheart." Deimos drew out the word "sweetheart" warmly, snickered up to me, gazing up into the moonlight as his golden eyes gleamed. I can tell he felt just as excited as me, his demeanor still casual with his hands in his pockets as he looked through the branches.

The way his smile seemed twisted, contorting his face as his eyes scanned over each crack and crevice in his search for me. He liked the chase, knowing he would eventually catch me. How sick. How exciting.

I watched as Deimos continued scanning his eyes through the trees, dragging them meticulously through each branch, trying to spot me. I tucked myself as tightly behind the tree as I could without moving too much, or falling off the branch I was standing on.