➥ one

Minjeong sighed and finished typing out the essay.

Her work was thankfully nearly complete, what with the extra bucketload of reports and analyses due by the end of the week. Exams were finally done, but her devil of an English teacher had assigned more work just because she could.

Minjeong, however, didn't really mind. The blonde was a quiet girl, and she was content with working on her assignments in peace. The only thing that irked her was her friends' jetting off on vacation so soon and skipping the tail end of the year. Ryujin was in Jeju, Yeji was in California and Yujin was visiting her long-distance girlfriend Wonyoung in Seoul. Meanwhile, Minjeong was finishing up her work with no friends to help her or hang out with.

It was, if she had to admit, more than a little tedious.

Minjeong closed her laptop and got up to go down and get a coffee. The few benefits of no people resulted in less hall traffic, and no line, so she managed to order fast enough. Her usual order was very specific, but because there was barely anyone at the café, it was finished pretty quickly.

She sipped, phone on her desk, chin in her palm. This summer was that between sophomore and junior year, which meant she had to make the most of it. She didn't have any plans, though, and she was sort of looking forward to staying home and getting a little alone time in.

After finishing the drink, she got up and walked out of the café, continuing her leisurely stroll around the city. It wasn't that late- around four- and she still had time to enjoy the slowly darkening sky and emerging nightlife of her city.

Highways and rivers split it into green patches, some full of city and some not. Minjeong liked visiting the temples and rivers in her free time, mostly because she liked being by herself more than anything. She loved her friends, but sometimes just enjoying the view and thinking was the best cure she could think to afford for herself.

Her phone rang as she walked, and she ducked into an alleyway to answer it.

"Yeoboseyo? This is Kim Minjeong."

"Hello, love. How are you doing?"

Minjeong checked the caller ID, and surely enough, it was her mother. "Hi, eomma. I'm good. What's the matter?"

"Nothing. Is it a crime to check in with my only daughter every once in a while?"

Once in a while. More like once a month. "No, I guess not. So is there anything you need?"

There was an exhale from the other side of the line, and Minjeong knew she was right. "So... your father and I want to take a trip to Europe during the summer, and... since we want to give you the chance to have your own summer... we're sending you to stay with the Yu family for the summer."

"Mom!" Minjeong cried out in surprise. She couldn't jet off to anywhere right now! She was going to have a relaxing summer, not one with people she barely knew. And leaving her with them so her parents could do whatever? "Are you sending me off just because you want to have fun and you don't want me around? Jinjja? I have work! I can just-"

"Minjeong-ah!" her mother sighed from the other side of the call. "Your father and I are going off to Europe for a little bit of alone time. Also, it'll benefit our travel pages-"

"-stay here and relax! And who are the Yu family even?" Minjeong continued, ignoring her mother.

"They're old friends of ours. Your father and I. They have a daughter your age, and she seems very pretty and sweet. We've met her a few times. Her name is Jimin, I think. And they'll be staying at their summer home, so you will as well."

"You mean I'll be intruding on a home they rent each summer?! That's even worse! Oh god, I can't do that. Ani, ani, ani. I'm not going, eomma. I can't go. I can stay here while you and appa go on your Europe trip. It doesn't affect-"

"Minjeong!" her mother snapped. Minjeong slumped down against the wall, holding her phone close to ear, her day looking ruined. "This is final. The Yus already offered to let you go, and we accepted. Their house is in Orlando, Florida, and you leave next week. Start packing your bags. I will text you the rest of the information."

And with that, she hung up.

"Yah! Aigoo, what is wrong with her?!" Minjeong huffed and turned off her phone, running a hand through her short blonde hair. Staying with a family she didn't even know in another damn country.

This summer was going to be just fantastic.

a/n: first chapter!!!! i actually have a cohesive storyline for this one so hope yall enjoyyy