➥ two

"What the hell do I pack? Ugh."

Minjeong groaned, tossing her clothes all over her room as she stared at the wide-open suitcase in front of her.

She didn't have many summer clothes, because she mostly stayed inside during the hotter months. As a result, her suitcase wasn't completely packed, and she was screwed. Six T-shirts, three pairs of shorts, a pair of baggy jeans, a light sweater, and a few crop tops. She was nowhere near Orlando summer weather.

This was why she hated being surprised. Because she was never prepared.

Aish, and she had nothing to bring either! She should've gotten gifts for the host family, but she had literally no idea what they liked. God, why was her mother like this? She finished tossing what little clothes she had and put her toiletries in the suitcase, grumbling as she zipped it shut. Her flight left in six hours, and she gave her room a quick clean and dressed in her plane clothes- oversized black T-shirt with a white pattern and baggy jeans- and slung her backpack over her shoulder.

The warm weather made her thankful for the air-conditioned airport as she stepped through the glass doors, heading for her flight. Her parents were supposed to call her, but of course they'd forgotten. She passed security after a bit and headed into her gate to wait for her flight.

She put in her earbuds and listened to music, scrolling through her phone, as she waited. The airport had some pretty nice stores, so she had bought some random housewarming gifts that were plane-safe and packed them into her bag for the Yu family as a thank-you. 

Just then, her phone rang, the caller ID displaying her mother's name. 

"Took you long enough," Minjeong grumbled as she answered, "Hello, I'm at the airport."

"Well, a 'hello, eomma,' might have been nice," her mother sighed from the other end.

"It might have been," Minjeong replied snappishly. "I'm not in the mood, however. I woke up at four a.m. to catch a flight I didn't even want to."

"Yah, Kim Minjeong! Do not talk to your mother that way!" another voice sounded angrily from the phone's tinny speakers, causing Minjeong to jump and hold the phone away from her face. Of course. Her father. Just as travel-happy as her mother. "She did a nice thing for you. The Yus are very kind."

"Yeah, but do I know that?" Minjeong exhaled. "Okay, appa. Sorry. I have to hang up now. Boarding is starting."

That was true. People were starting to stand.

"Alright. Goodbye, and have a safe flight!"

"You too," Minjeong replied, and hung up. She then stood, dragging her stuff behind her, and prepared to board the flight.

"We have now arrived in Orlando, Florida."

Minjeong woke with a start. The kind female voice in the speakers told her to unbuckle her seatbelt and please wait for further instructions.

Minjeong groaned and flopped back onto the seat, pausing her music, removing her earbuds and unbuckling her seatbelt. So many cons. Heat, another language (which she studied, so she'd be fine, but whatever) and more heat. Plus, people she didn't know.

Soon, it was time to leave, and Minjeong got up, following the line of people out of the plane, carrying her backpack and suitcase. The airport was refreshingly cool as she stepped onto its glossy marble floors, a white ceiling sloping high above her and an impressive white fountain sparkling in the center. She looked around. Her parents had said the Yu family would meet her in the airport.