Wattpad Original
Mayroong 6 pang mga libreng parte

Chapter 1 - An Excellent Surgeon

RISING EARLY, Lola Helene put on her maroon drawstring straight pants, black flipflops, and an oversized white T-shirt. With her blue bucket hat on, she went out all alone. Like typical elderlies, she didn't want to feel useless or a bother for needing too much assistance, so while carrying a huge plastic bag containing a packaged set of pillowcases, blanket, and bedsheets, she did not bring her granddaughter, Kaelee, with her.

When Lola Helene came back from the market, Kaelee noticed a big smile that placed more wrinkles on her face. The old woman—who was petite with big-boned stature, had thick, white wavy hair that reached her shoulders, and a strong face—breezed by the kitchen to leave the groceries on the dining table. Then, she returned to the living room, sat in her rocking chair, and excitedly shared some news.

"Did you know? I just saw Dr. Alfred Sin."

"Who is he, Lola?" Grandma.

"An excellent surgeon, hija..." She trailed off as if she was trying to figure out something before continuing. "A very excellent surgeon."

Kaelee nodded before returning her eyes to her book. When she got up this morning, she took a book and read it on her lap while sitting on a one-seat sofa in the living room. She put her auburn hair up with a hair clamp and began reviewing in preparation for her training soon as a nurse trainee.

Lola Helene continued. "He said, he'll help you with your training. You don't have to bring out money, hija. The only thing that Doc wants in exchange is for you to be his assistant in his own clinic."

'Of course, there's always something in exchange for something. Who helps for free these days?' Kaelee released a heavy sigh.

"He works in San Rafael Hospital." The grandmother slowly closed her monolid eyes. Slowly rocking in her chair already relaxed her bit by bit. "It's pretty close by, isn't it? My granddaughter can just walk on her way there."

"Y-Yes."

Kaelee forced a smile. She was really grateful to her grandmother. She really was. She appreciated her grandmother's help in finding her a hospital where she could do her training. What made her hesitate about the offer though was the doctor. First, she had no idea who Dr. Sin was. She hadn't even seen him on any occasion where her grandmother would invite her friends to celebrate with them. So, she was wondering how Helene met Dr. Sin, or when they first met.

Second, he was a surgeon, just like what Lola Helene said, but it baffled her how they could even meet. Because her grandmother—who was pretty lively and strong for her age—had never undergone any kind of surgical operation.

Therefore, Kaelee had every right to have second thoughts about accepting that doctor's help—because the only thing she knew about him was that he was a surgeon...an excellent surgeon.

A WEEK had passed. It was already Sunday and Kaelee was bored, so she kept an eye on her old model laptop. She spent the whole day waiting for e-mails from the hospitals where she sent applications for training opportunities. A keypad cell phone rested on the one-seat sofa, right beside her, just in case she would receive any calls or texts from them.

Kaelee promised herself that when the day ended and no hospital accepted her application, she would ask for the school admin's help. She could just turn to Dr. Alfred Sin for help, but she was still dubious about his offer. He didn't even show up for a week after he made that offer, making her distrust for him grow.