Wattpad Original
Mayroong 4 pang mga libreng parte

Chapter 3 - One of my Creations

'AM I at the right place?'

Kaelee checked the piece of paper she was holding. When she lifted her eyes again, her forehead creased.

She stood in front of a much-depreciated building. There were black patches on its ashy gray cement walls, possibly caused by fire or smeared coals on it. The dark-tinted glass windows were closed, looking white with dirt for years and no one even bothered to clean them up. Graffiti covered the gray metal gate by the entrance of the building. The graffiti read, 'Demonic Surgeon,' 'Surgeon Sin is Sinful,' and other remarks that pertained to the terror doctor.

Before Kaelee's mother died, she often said that she should just take any blessing wholeheartedly. With the word 'blessing,' her mother meant everything that destiny throws at her. There were blessings from every pleasant experience that she would have in life, which was the same with every challenge that she would go through. Her mother meant what she said because she set an example for her. Kaelee grew up without hearing her mother complaining. For her mother, problems were also blessings because it taught a person to be more patient, more determined, more enduring, and more

So, from what Dr. Alfred's residence looked like, Kaelee could sense that the accept-all attitude she inherited would bring her closer to danger. Common sense said that she should secure herself and run away. But her upbringing, which shaped who she is, made her stay standing at the front of the gate.

Dr. Alfred said that his shift at the hospital ends at seven in the evening. That meant she had to wait for another hour for him. He also told her that he would try to leave the hospital earlier because he 'didn't want to make a bad impression on her.' That made her only roll her eyes because he sounded boastful instead of thoughtful when he said that to her at the cafeteria.

Kaelee approached the gate and leaned her back against the graffiti-covered gates as she waited for the doctor. Her eyes roamed around and she noticed the intrigued stares from passers-by and also from the doctor's neighbors.

"You are here," Surgeon Sin exclaimed when he caught sight of her. He was walking, still a little too far from her, and yet he was already greeting her until he got close to her. "I am glad! And guess what? I am half an hour early! See? I'm early! I made a very good impression on our first day of work together."

Kaelee stood straight and made sure that the doctor would follow her line of sight to see the graffiti at the gate. "Well, Doc, I think you made a good impression."

He laughed nervously as his eyes scanned the graffiti. It seemed like he did not even bother to read what was written there. Maybe he got them memorized already because they had been spray-painted at the gate for quite a long time. "Yes, little girl. You seemed interested in graffiti. Do you really want to be a nurse or an artist?"

He stood by the cemented post beside the gate and flapped a little box open that revealed the password-activated lock of the gate. He pressed some buttons that made the gates automatically click ajar.

He pushed the big and heavy gates to widen its opening. Then, he glanced at her. "It's open. Come in, little girl."

Kaelee took a deep breath. 

'Welcome to hell,' she thought sarcastically, imagining that the building looked worse inside.

That's where she got it wrong.