Wattpad Original
Mayroong 1 pang libreng parte

Chapter 6 - AWOL

"YOU'RE HIDING from someone, no?" Jonathan asked while watching their back for a short moment as they walked.

They were already far from San Rafael Hospital, but its rooftop was still in sight.

"No," Kaelee replied, lowering her head to hide her face. Because who could say if Surgeon Sin was already at the rooftop and he could see her from that spot? Of course, that would be strange, but he was weird so that could be possible. Also, she just got to know Jonathan, so she could not trust him yet about her problem with Dr. Alfred, and that she was hiding from him.

Since her house was closer than Jonathan's, it felt like he walked her home. She stopped walking when they got to the front of the low gate and turned to face him.

"Umm, I'm already here," she smiled sheepishly at him. "That—" she cocked her head to the side to point at the small gate and the bungalow behind it, "—is our house."

He nodded, then briefly scanned her house which had white painted walls and a blue aluminum roof. It was surrounded by lush green plants and had a wooden, low gate.

"Nice," he said, facing her. "I'll be heading now to the bus stop."

She nodded. "Take care."

"Thanks," he nodded before he began walking past her house.

Kaelee followed him with her eyes before she entered her home.

SHOCKED, Lola Helene immediately left the kitchen. She was in the middle of cooking dinner when she heard the door opening and closing. So, the old woman immediately checked who had come. She caught Kaelee placing her backpack on the one-seat sofa.

"Whoa, why are you early?"

She approached Lola Helene, took her hand, and placed its back on her forehead. This tradition of politely greeting the elders is called 'pagmamano.'

"Aren't you supposed to be at Doc's clinic after your training in the hospital?"

What she heard made her pause. What alibi would she tell her grandmother? And what if Surgeon Sin decided to search for her in this house? She gulped upon recalling what he said the night he made her choose whether to be his assistant or not.

"I will have to kill you..."

Kaelee blinked and felt goosebumps upon remembering what the doctor's voice sounded like. His voice gave her the chills—it was cold, emotionless, and terrifying.

She looked Lola Helene in the eyes. "I'm not feeling well."

"My goodness, is it tiring in the hospital? Or have you forgotten to put on a face mask and you caught some disease?" she assisted her by the elbow and helped her sit on the sofa. "Don't worry. The macaroni soup will be cooked soon. You're just in time for dinner. Sit here and get some rest."

Lola Helene hurried back to the kitchen to attend to her cooking. Meanwhile, Kaelee pressed her back against the backrest of the sofa and closed her eyes.

'What am I going to do if Surgeon Sin finds me here?'

Her eyes flung open upon hearing some knocking on the door.

"Just a minute!" she heard Lola Helene holler. Any minute from now, her grandmother would leave the kitchen and open the door for their...guest.

Kaelee sighed in surrender. Maybe this was one of the signs that her mother was reminding her about the valuable lesson she left for her. That she could never escape any person or situation that destiny had presented before her. So, she got moved ahead of her grandmother.